Enabling HDMI video output

Hi All,

I’ve been using a 5 inch HDMI display with Raspian Jessie. There are many available on ebay (like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-NEW-5-inch-Resistive-Touch-Screen-LCD-Display-HDMI-for-Raspberry-Pi-XPT2046-/262248667916?hash=item3d0f3d1b0c:g:iCAAAOSwQYZW0n3q ). They are very cheap & the larger screen size is an improvement over the Adafruit 2.8 inch display. Plus they are driverless with just a few entries to add to the config.txt file to setup the screen resolution.

I’ve been studying how to support this kind of display with Zynthian but I’ve ended up going around in circles. The Adafruit TFT is sitting on the SPI bus & the X11 display manager is instructed to use the TFT. So my HDMI is running during the initial boot, but then goes blank.

Some further points:-

• The screen resolution is greater than the Adafruit so I realise that the GUI will only take up part of the screen.
  • The touch controllers are different, but Zynthian is controlled with rotary encoders so touch is not needed.
  • This is about HDMI video, not audio.

Has anyone tried this? Can some kind soul help me navigate through the files in the Github to make any needed changes?

Hi @Andy!

Currently, the zynthian GUI is fixed to a size of 320x240, so you wont get a big advantage using a higher resolution screen.
A bigger screen with the same resolution (like a 3.2" screen) could be nice, of course, but if you want to take profit of a 5" screen or bigger, then you should reshape the GUI. I think it shouldn’t be a very hard task, but it would take some hours. By the way, if you do so, it would be nice to make a “resizable” GUI, so we can take profit of big screens :wink:

Regarding the screen configuration, the Zynthian init scripts run the XWindow system in the frame buffer #1 (/dev/fb1) and your HDMI display will be configured in the framebuffer #0 (/dev/fb0). You can change this in this file:

/etc/init.d/zynthian

https://github.com/zynthian/zynthian-sys/blob/master/etc/init.d/zynthian

but if you do so, it will be overwrited when you update the zynthian software from the admin menu. I have to change the boot scripts so you can configure the frame buffer (and other parameters) in a place where it don’t be overwrited by the update process :wink:

Best Regards!

It works!

I’m off to the workbench to wire up the encoders!

-Andy