Encoders directly to the GPIO of the Pi 4?

Hi everyone,

I have published all design files and information of a different usage for zynthian-miniature hardware that I mention above on a github here: GitHub - sstojos/zynthian-miniature: The basic PCB with MIDIs, Sound Card and 4 encoders only for zynthian..

I hope that somebody will find it useful.

Cheers !

1 Like

Hi Guys,
I managed to connect Encoders to the GPIOs. Carefully avoiding pins used by HifiBerry and by anything else. I used those encoders with pull-up resistors, but I unsoldered them ( I have an electrical engineering backgroud so I am quite confident with my iron), but I came across with some strange behaviour with the last encoder (the one that is used for browsing items and selecting). Sometimes when pressing and rotating it invokes the message: “Are you sure that you want to Turn Off the Zynth” (or something like that). I might put on some SMD caps where the resistors were, but I just want to check if there are some settings that I might change so it could be avoided before I do that.
Thanks

It looks like a debouncing issue. The “release” is not being detected, perhaps due to fast bounces. You should consider adding the caps in switches and encoders.

Regards

Ok I try that, 10nF for encoder and 100nF for the switch?

Exactly ! You will note the difference.

Regards

Could only found 100nF in reasonable size (805), would that be problem for encoder as well? I think not, but?

It’s too big for the encoder. You will lost pulses when moving fast. Encoder caps must be 10nF.
603 is not so hard to solder :wink:

Regards

1 Like