Encoders directly to the GPIO of the Pi 4?

Hi everyone,

I have published all design files and information of a different usage for zynthian-miniature hardware that I mention above on a github here: GitHub - sstojos/zynthian-miniature: The basic PCB with MIDIs, Sound Card and 4 encoders only for zynthian..

I hope that somebody will find it useful.

Cheers !

1 Like

Hi Guys,
I managed to connect Encoders to the GPIOs. Carefully avoiding pins used by HifiBerry and by anything else. I used those encoders with pull-up resistors, but I unsoldered them ( I have an electrical engineering backgroud so I am quite confident with my iron), but I came across with some strange behaviour with the last encoder (the one that is used for browsing items and selecting). Sometimes when pressing and rotating it invokes the message: “Are you sure that you want to Turn Off the Zynth” (or something like that). I might put on some SMD caps where the resistors were, but I just want to check if there are some settings that I might change so it could be avoided before I do that.
Thanks

It looks like a debouncing issue. The “release” is not being detected, perhaps due to fast bounces. You should consider adding the caps in switches and encoders.

Regards

Ok I try that, 10nF for encoder and 100nF for the switch?

Exactly ! You will note the difference.

Regards

Could only found 100nF in reasonable size (805), would that be problem for encoder as well? I think not, but?

It’s too big for the encoder. You will lost pulses when moving fast. Encoder caps must be 10nF.
603 is not so hard to solder :wink:

Regards

1 Like

I’ve got an mcp23017 setup on the breadboard, my goal is to use these little buttons to test if they work better than the encoder buttons. I have managed to get the chip recognised by zynthian but it doesn’t want to register the button presses. I’m not sure if I’m wiring the buttons themselves incorrectly or if the numbers I’m using in the wiring page are incorrect.

The encoders are still wired directly to the gpio and have been working fine (the rotation part).