ERROR:zynautoconnect.zynthian_autoconnect

Hi, I installed a fresh Gorgona image and updated everything. I have a HiFiBerry Digi+ and the Raspberry Pi is connected to a TV through HDMI, both of which seem to be working (alsamixer shows the board and the TV shows the startup messages plus a Zynthian - Error later). I tried running the UI manually and got this:

root@zynthian:~# /zynthian/zynthian-sys/sbin/zynthian.sh

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.26-v7+ armv7l Raspbian
Current Operating System: Linux zynthian 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l
Kernel command line: 8250.nr_uarts=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1920 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=1080 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3dc00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x3f000000  dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
Build Date: 11 November 2016  11:59:59AM
xorg-server 2:1.18.4-2+rpi1 (https://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.33.3
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Sep 13 08:12:37 2017
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
INFO:root:Wiring Layout DUMMIES
DEBUG:root:ZYNCODER A: [0, 0, 0, 0]
DEBUG:root:ZYNCODER B: [0, 0, 0, 0]
DEBUG:root:SWITCHES layout: [0, 0, 0, 0]
Cannot open Zynthian_autoconnect client
ERROR:zynautoconnect.zynthian_autoconnect:Failed to connect with Jack Server: Error initializing "Zynthian_autoconnect": <jack.Status 0x21: failure, server_error>
ERROR:zynautoconnect.zynthian_autoconnect:ERROR Autoconnecting: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_ports'
Zyncoder: Zynswitches poll thread created successfully
ERROR:zynautoconnect.zynthian_autoconnect:ERROR Autoconnecting: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_ports'
Cannot read socket fd = 12 err = Success
CheckRes error
JackSocketClientChannel read fail

I’m not sure what to do now. Related to this: is there a way of creating layers and modifying parameters using the CLI only? I may go all the way with buying a touchscreen and knobs, but I’d like to try how everything sounds with what I currently have.

Thanks.

Hi @jipumarino!

It seems that your soundcard is not working. Be aware that some sound devices from the list in the config tool has been tested poorly, or perhaps not tested at all. Probably you have to modify you boot/config.txt by hand. If you do so, please, send a full report for fixing the configuration tool.

Regards

Hi @jofemodo!

Thanks for your reply. I tried both that and using the webconf tool, using dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi, and I definitely get different results when using that and hifiberry-dac. With hifiberry-digi I get alsamixer, with -dac I don’t. I can try using a hifiberry dac that I also have, but using dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi has worked without issues in plain Raspbian for me before.

Best

Hi there again. I can confirm that jackd was running fine, and playing a file directly through it worked out OK. If I stop the jackd service and use aplay, that works too, so the sound device is definitely working.

What else could it be?

This is the log for the jack2 service:

root@zynthian:~# systemctl status jack2
● jack2.service - JACK2 Audio Server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/jack2.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-09-14 06:26:44 BST; 6s ago
 Main PID: 32525 (jackd)
   CGroup: /system.slice/jack2.service
           └─32525 /usr/bin/jackd -P 70 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 44100 -p 256 -n 2 -X raw

Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 70
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: audio_reservation_init
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: Acquire audio card Audio0
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames (5.8 ms), buffer = 2 periods
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
Sep 14 06:26:44 zynthian jackd[32525]: ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

This is really strange. The Zynthian UI says it can’t connect with Jackd server but jackd is running?
Please, can you verify again that jackd is running OK and after that try to run the Zynthian Ui from command line?

Thanks!

Uh, sorry, you’re right. I mistook the jack2 service log for success and I wrongly thought I was playing audio through it when it actually was playing through alsa. So, right now I have a working audio device (even fluidsynth connected to alsa works), but can’t make jack work with it. Any tips on how to work it out?

Also: did you read my other comment regarding the possibility of creating layers and changing parameters through the CLI?

Thanks again!
Juan

I don’t think, this will ever be possible.
If we really should have the time to implement something to support screenless devices, it will be through a web interface.

OK, progress!

I replaced my hifiberry-digi for my hifiberry-dac and everything starts now, including jackd and the zynthian UI service. I’ll have to poke around somewhere else to figure out the jackd parameters necessary for the digi to work (I do need the digital audio out instead of analog, but this will do for testing purposes).

@mheidt what about saved snapshots? Could I write a snapshot file (I don’t even know where do those live within the zynthian directory structure) so that it gets picked up at startup?

On a similar note: I was able to start the GUI with X11 through ssh on my computer. Can the UI be operated with the keyboard/mouse once I’m there?

Thanks again to both of you.

Juan

that is already done.
There is a default.zss in /zynthian/zynthian-my-data/snapshots

You can save as “default snapshot” from the Zynthian UI. The dafault snapshot is loaded on startup.

Regards,

Thanks again. More progress: I managed to make the hifiberry-digi work. jackd was starting correctly, but since the digi chipset has input capability, those ports were being open by jack, to which, I guess, the client applications were trying to connect. By adding a -P flag for playback only, after -d alsa , everything works now:

jackd -P 70 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -P -d hw:0 -r 44100 -p 256 -n 2 -X raw

Good work, @jipumarino … and curious subject!! :wink:
AFAIK, there is no problem using the audio input with Zynthian. You can use it as an audio processor with MOD-UI. In fact, i have a Zynthian with an audioinjector soundcard and it works perfectly without the “-P” flag.

Regards

Ah, what I read int he hifiberry docs is that the digi chipset has input, but it’s not enabled, so maybe that’s what triggers the error on connection.