Experiences with Artiphon Instrument 1 and Zynthian?

Hi,
has anybody already made experiences with the Atriphon Instrument 1 and Zynthian?
I own an Instrument 1 and was looking for a cheap, low latency solution for a usable wavetable synth (this Apple stuff is really good, but too expensive in my opinion only as a Garageband “carrier”).
Looking forward to my Zynthian which should arrive next week.

Regards

1 Like

No?
Seems that i am the first one… :smiley:

My very first experience was, that not all synths seems to work properly and behave different to the incoming MIDI data together with the Artiphon.

The latency seems to be really low.

Is there an easy way to find out the parameters for jack to make the usb sound interface integrated in the Artiphon can be make usable?
As i saw it could be activated via the webinterface, but how to get the correct “hw”-Parameter (and others)?

Hi @dl9sec

for USB sound you should use the following jack paramaters:

jackd -P70 -p16 -t2000 -d alsa -dhw:<YOUR_DEVICE> -p 128 -n 3 -r 44100 -s

Perhaps you should change the first “-p16” to something higher (e.g. 256). Important are the last options -p 128 -n 3 for r USB devices.

Regards, Holger

Hi @C0d3man,

thanks for the Information.
How to get the correct “hw”-device number? Is it the number i see in the first column of the output of “cat /proc/asound/cards”?
Thanks.

Hi @dl9sec,

I am using aplay -l:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1

Hth, Holger

Ok,

aplay -l gives:

root@zynthian:/zynthian/zynthian-sys/scripts# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: INSTRUMENT1 [INSTRUMENT1], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1

So i used “USB Device” and

-P70 -p256 -t2000 -d alsa -dhw:1 -p 128 -n 3 -r 44100 -s

in the audio configuration.

Result:

When i try to ann a synth e.g. ZynAddSubFX, the GUI freezes (web interface and ssh still running)…

@dl9sec

hmmm… sounds like a driver problem. That’s really tricky. My only idea is to login via ssh, stop jack and start jack manually with your options - trial & error:

$ systemctl stop jack2 # or perhaps only "jack" instead of "jack2"
$ jack -P70 -p256 -t2000 -d alsa -dhw:1 -p 128 -n 3 -r 44100 -s &

… look for any error messages. If everything seems to be fine than trying to play a WAV with aplay oder a MP3 with mpg123 should produce any sound. Sorry - don’t have a Zynthian here so I cannot give hints where to find WAV or MP3 demos on the image.

Regards, Holger

Will try this today evening.

Did you have any success with this? I have an Instrument 1 and a Zynthian and never thought to connect them, but for what I need it is possible a better solution than connecting my Roland pedals to the Zynthian.