Expression pedal with Arduino

It works perfectly!!!
I just have to print a new support as I didn’t realize that there is a colored band that I have to put at the top of the display.

THANKS!

Great, didn’t expect it to work on the first try!

On my testbench I noticed some jittering on the analog reads, maybe because of the crappy pots I use, but if you experience this, try cranking up varThreshold on line 81.
If you want to edit the time the value stays in the display, change MAX_IDLE_FRAMES on line 16 in the file potDisplay.h.

1 Like

Perfect thanks.
No, with my potentiometers she has no flickering.
As soon as the media finishes printing, I connect everything to the iMac and try the virtual instruments.

@mbvs OOOOPPPPS!!
It doesn’t send messages… but now I’ll look into it too to see if I find anything.

Apologies - messed it up on the way (also deleted your system up led).
this should work:

ControllerSax_display.ino (7.6 KB)

[edit: 2023-09-25 16:37]

@mbvs
Don’t worry, you’re already doing enough.
It doesn’t work… Midi-OX gives me this error:
Insufficient memory for the task.
Close one or more applications to increase available memory. Then try again… I loaded the old sketch and Midi-OX works.
Don’t go crazy… take it easy. Thank you

P.S.
It works perfectly…
I just had to increase the number of ports because you used 2 while I have 16… Thanks

yeah, I first missed that - you were too fast :laughing:

I don’t have 16 pots around, so I work with two but have to edit the file before uploading here.
Don’t hesitate to report - it is always the last kinks and bits who take the most effort to iron out!

Don’t worry… Everything perfect.
I just configured the Soprano, Tenor and Flugelhorn… PERFECT!!

This thing of helping others is nice… I thought it was over with the last real radio amateurs… now for a circuit with two resistors and a capacitor everyone gets paid. You and @riban are two angels…

Now I’m enjoying the new toy… but tomorrow I’ll read your sketch because I want to learn something new…

You didn’t tell me if I can thank you on the site you attached. :wink:

again, don’t hesitate to ask…

honestly, I don’t know which site you mean - the one which I linked to about the benefits of helping?
This is totally unrelated to me, I am not a student there.

1 Like

Ah OK!
However, honor to you for being inspired by these good initiatives.

Everything perfectly configured and working. Thanks @mbvs
I split the 16 controllers in two (ideally, not with the saw).
The group you are adjusting now appears on the display (Winds or Strings).
8 controls for the winds and 6 for the strings, while there are two for both Volume and Vibrato. For the Expression I use the previously built pedal.

1 Like

:open_mouth: At first glance I thought you have TWO displays mounted. Now everything clear!
I am bit puzzled about the first line in yellow - you don’t have a RGB display, have you?
Anyways, I am eagerly looking forward to your next contribution in “Latest musical effort”!

2 Likes

The yellow band is nothing more than a colored piece unfortunately applied under the glass… I didn’t notice this when I bought it.

You can listen to the Soprano Sax in the last song I published… Águas de março. In this song I used the controller when it still had no display.

Yep! Some of these displays have a yellow filter at the top to give the impression of the topbar being separate from the rest. This can be useful if your display has a top bar that you display info but often it just gets in the way of what you want to do.

2 Likes

didn’t know this - but it looks like that I accidentally got the line spacing right?

Everything’s perfect! I modified the text (the /n command which I didn’t know was very interesting) to divide the controller in two. This is because the controls for wind instruments are different from those for strings, apart from Volume and Vibrato.

I just looked into the code, if you ever have the need for a single line - this would probably got divided in half. Vertical position of a single line can be edited at line 126 at the bottom of potDisplay.cpp where you see the value 10. This is the vertical distance from the top in pixels.

When I get home I’ll look at it (I’m in the car now). Thank you again for the excellent work… I would like to have your knowledge of the Arduino language… I have a lot of ideas that I can’t put on the IDE due to my ignorance… :pensive:

I understand everything… Very good.
Thank you very much

I initially built a pedal for the EXPRESSION using an old volume pedal with an Arduino Pro Micro… then I built the complete controller with 16 controls… but it bothered me to have two Arduinos used for the same thing… I then added a jack socket to the controller to connect the EXPRESSION pedal, I removed the Arduino from the pedal and used an Arduino analog port (The other controls occupy all 16 pins of the Multiplexer). I attach the new sketch…

Thanks again to @mbvs

ControllerSax_display_Expression.ino (8.0 KB)

P.S.
I asked the Artificial Intelligence to modify the sketch so that the LED flashes only when a control potentiometer moves (Arduino Pro Micro does not have Pin 13 connected to the on-board LED)… Perfect!!! It works… I attach the sketch modified by the A.I.
Controller_I.A.ino (4.7 KB)

3 Likes