FluidSynth Output is Hopping Around Channels L and R

Just to “prove” the point. This is a recording, where you can hear hard left/right swapping.
I booted up with no engines. Then loading the snapshot described here (but it also happens with just bare soundfonts):

And there you go:

But as I said. When you know this and play notes for 2 minutes, it settles.

Cheers,

Was this recorded externally to the zynth or was it from the Zynth’s internal Audio Recording feature?

Forgive me I’ve can’t find a mention of what Audio set up you are using . … Is it a zynthian kit?

Thanks for chiming in!

1. This is an external audio interface recording
  2. The setup is a Zynthian v3 Kit, set up as follows

zynthian config

It’s strange but I’ve come to terms with it…

Sounds to me like an audio card start up fault… If you don’t see the hopping in the audio recorder wav file that would nail it down.

Ok, when it happens I’ll start recording the WAV file internally. Could be some days, because it’s not consistent.

Thank you!

Plug in a keyboard to the USB & use the ‘a’ key to start recording and Shift ‘a’ to stop it.

or set them up the way you want them . . . .

Thank you. I managed to capture that bugger. It just so happens it only occurs right after boot up. Here’s the external vs jack_capture:

So on the digital side everything is ok. Just when that card is converting digital to analog it is doing those strange things, and only shortly after boot up.

Any suggestions as to what logs I should capture? Maybe this can be eliminated alltogether…

1 Like

Sounds like an issue with I2S. Try reseating the sound card connectors. Maybe the LRCLK which identifies which channel’s data is behind sent.

Would that also explain that this effect vanishes after 3 or so minutes?

Who knows? If something is on the edge then stability may come or go as temperature changes

Have you a usb device that you could use?

Hardware is dumb, and very terse, and it does weird things when it goes wrong.

Unless you’d like to get out the magnifying glass and micro soldering irons ( and there are people out there who do…) you need to investigate how much it affects you.

I bet you feel better now you have proved it to yourself, and in that sense you possess a personalised instrument!

Course if it was returned I’m pretty sure it would be dealt with effectively, and meantime those committed and honoured zynthians that occasionally gather on some dark blasted European hill, will burn the card to the accompaniment of your audio posts on some as yet un-arranged date !! :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds like witchcraft to me! :rofl:

Honestly, I’ll look at it with a magnifying glass, to see if there are any fissures in the soldering or “cold” spots. But as there is no special thermal strain in that area (especially none that could heat up so much in under 3 minutes) I really doubt it - but then again who knows.

Concerning the usb audio device, I’m not sure that the one I have lying around is class compatible. But - thanks for all your help, it’s so appreciated! I feel now this is a strong community, trying to push things forward!

Cheers!

1 Like

Any further audio options like a new make of usb device is of interest!!

I could also be really cheeky and ask you to give us a little piece of playing when you’ve let it all warm up…?

It’s nice for us to dance around at the end of the lonely hill top vigils to something joyous!! :slight_smile:

Heck yeah, why not? Maybe this (piano is from zynthian after letting it warm up for a descend enough time and sacrificing negligible virgins):

I hope you’ll enjoy dancing to this! :man_dancing:

8 Likes

Wow. Awesome.

Great playing. Nice solo.

The Zynthian sounds great

There’s some ravels bolero in there !!! :slight_smile:

The zynthian GUI colour definition committee giving it plenty recently !!!

Thank you so much! We post weekly, so If you like…

yes, we draw from various influences, the strongest by far has to be miles davis 70s period, though :trumpet:

How many people are involved?

If there is a poor solder joint then the signals may be on the edge of working. The components to which these pins connect may subsequently warm up and their electrical behaviour may change. A signal that was oscillating may stop or vice versa. It is not the solder joint that is affected by heat, it is the sensitivity of the component, e.g. CPU, CODEC, etc.