Free samples

Some articulated SFZ files from Japanese maker Unreal Instruments. Made for the Sforzando player, they might make an interesting translation, conversion exercise. I could not find any licensing terms, they include nice professional grade English and Japanese. user manuals. (Originally found in this Plogue list of paid and free instruments.)

Anyone with a Keytar would definitely want to check out the guitar sounds, there is a Standard and Metal version. Works fine with the free Sforzando player. These instruments may require more hardware than a Pi can supply, perhaps a multi gig Pi 4 could do.

Standard Guitar Sample (more tricky to play than guitar hero) uses some 2400 flac samples

Standard_Guitar.rar (716M) . . . _METAL-GTX.rar (1.3G) . . . (and 10 other instruments)

Here is the control panel you get (instead of a GUI) on the free player, note the 13 CC channel assignments to panel controls, that looks easy to adapt to a headless translation scheme for some future Sfizz ?, the other 7 controls might be more tricky to manage.
Standard_Guitar

Brief descriptions of the different Standard Guitar modes, articulation is done with designated non playing keyboard keys, except two modes where velocity changes the play style.

The manual describes the 25 different articulation keyboard keys (KSOP), VSOP represents velocity articulation, tables indicate 15 different styles are mapped to velocity.

Samples of all the Unreal Instruments titles (with some duplicates).

2 Likes

Wow good job playing the ModSynth_R1.sf2, it must be like reliving your first synthesizer knob twiddling experience. I imagine one could drop in more complex waveforms into that framework (if you can live with bloating the current 9.18k file size)

Incredible and unexpected from sfz ! Wow !

2 Likes

Now that has to be an interesting cross fertilization ! :smiley:

I found these instruments on:

https://sfzinstruments.github.io/

They seem to be “public domain”, so i supose we could include them on zynthian SD images.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jofemodo,
I think that GitHub - sfzinstruments/mappings: A repository for SFZ mappings for various samples hosted elsewhere a good starting point. Mappings are made for Sforzando. I’m going to edit Sasje’s The Trumpet sfz mapping for sfizz. So that such a mechanism would be beneficial.
For example: Mapping of Sasje’s The Trumpet using this cc:

//midi cc
#define $ATTACK 80
#define $HOLD 81
#define $DECAY 82
#define $SUSTAIN 83
#define $RELEASE 84
#define $VIB_RATE 76
#define $VIBRATO 1
#define $LEGATO 64
#define $EXP 11
#define $VELTRACK 99

DecentSampler has about 16 free SFZ files, mostly novelty and toy instruments.

As seen in sforzando player:
Interestingly the Box harp has only Volume and Pan Controls.
While the Korg littleBits Synth Kit has 6 additional controls for Filter and Amp EG envelope. (makes the simple Square or Sawtooth a bit more interesting)

(Mandolin_Guitarophone_SFZ is the fattest of the ones I looked at: 730Mb compressed)

The Sound of a Blind Soccer Ball

Perhaps for a custom percussion set addition.

I got curious watching the paralympics.

The ball has 6 vented metal disks distributed inside of the cover, each contain 8 ball bearings.

2 different recordings:

The goalie is sighted and yells directions to his team, the referee bangs on the left and right goal supports for location. (I trust you can right-click save the .wav files)

1 Like

Haven’t tried them in Zynth yet but there’s some nice looking piano sfz files posted on linuxmusicians.com https://luciphercode.wixsite.com/sofia-mz

According to the author they need to be loaded into sfizz not linuxsampler.

Here is a small 12 second clip of the Bosendorfer before my 1Gig Pi OOMS under the strain.

1 Like

Ha! That’s a problem. Maybe there is an option/ opportunity to configure memory management.

I tried enabling zram ZRAM swap alternative and it lasted a little longer, but still oomed after a few minutes of playing. And It certainly wasn’t happy if my foot was on the sustain.

If you have insufficient memory then it will fail. What may be desirable is a way to limit the memory requirements, e.g. limit sample size based on available memory.

Sometimes buffering resolves temporary shortage of resource but if the system is persistently starved of resource it will fail. (Think of audio buffers in jack / alsa.)

I would expect swap to be rather detrimental to performance and defo bad for flash storage!

zram is Pretty nifty and enabled by default in most modern distros these days though.