Fresh installation and hardware setup => reboot questions

Hi @ll,

when I make a fresh installation, boot it and try to setup my hardware (because I am using a v1 setup), am I to be constantly led to a reboot when I’m selecting Kit, Audio or Display but not when selecting Wiring. Is this ok?

And I have another suggestion for improvement:
It is also not very comfortable to be led directly to the reboot-screen after each selection. A hint would be sufficient in my opinion, since you usually don’t just adjust one setting, but several.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

If you do not reboot but then just hit “save” after each selection, you should be able to make a couple of changes all together, and then reboot after you are done.

It worked in my hands.

Sure, but it’s not very comfortable to get to the reboot screen after saving. A message after saving that a reboot is needed should be enough (IMHO).

Regards, Holger

1 Like

We had this behaviour in the beginning and then somebody wanted a redirect to the Reboot page

Yes! It’s OK! Audio and Display changes require reboot because /boot/config.txt is changed. Wiring changes only require the UI to be restarted.

Anyway, i don’t like too much how all this is implemented and i would like to improved some day. I mean, not all audio/display changes require a boot and this should be detected. Also, UI restarting should be warned too.

Yes. This is something i would like to improve. Having a kind of “reboot needed flag” …

Thanks!

1 Like

Unless you change to / from I2C interface in which case the libzyncoder.so needs to be rebuilt. I am not sure whether that is done without a reboot at the moment. I have plans to consolidate the code to a single library but not yet had time.

This is done then when “saving” configuration (zynthian_update_sys.sh script is called then). No need for reboot.

Regards,

1 Like

How do you cope with the issue that tornado doesn’t know sessions?
cookie?
So a one time text message on top?
And an Icon next to the System menu entry with a tooltip, that a reboot is needed?
I don’t know, how we can ensure that the cookie is deleted, when somebody doesn’t use the reboot page, but zynthian-ui.

Hi @mheidt!

We already have session cookie on webconf, and also some extra info stored, like “advanced” checkbox.

I think a fixed-bottom-bar with the reminder “Zynthian need to reboot
to apply your changes [REBOOT]” or similar, would be nice.

Regards,

But “advanced” is different. The cookie survives a reboot.
And there are people using zynthian-ui to reboot and expect the message to disappear after a refresh of the webconf.
I think, we need an empty file which existence is checked at every request.
And which is going to be deleted at startup.

This solution is OK. In fact, it’s what the update system does :wink:
Take a look to:

We should use the same file if possible …

Regards,

Ok, I pushed something. The ball is yours to change the css :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @mheidt, i already tested and improved CSS a litle bit.

Thanks!

1 Like