General MIDI

Hello everyone,

I am looking at the Zynthian but before buying I would like to know if it is the right tool for me.

I would like to emulate different General MIDI sound modules (SC-55, SC-88, etc) using SF2 SoundFont to use with retro games and easily switch between them.

The connectivity would be something like that:

PC -> Roland UM-ONE mk2 or Sound Card MIDI interface -> Zynthian V4.1

When looking at the Zynthian user guide / youtube video it seems that for using SF2 I need to use FluidSynth synthesizer. But it seems that I need to manually choose the instrument for each MIDI channel.

Is it possible to use the Zynthian as a General MIDI sound modules?

Regards

Hi, welcome.

That’s correct.

Yes ! You will be able to feed zynthian with midi data comming from your PC using your Roland um-one midi interface or with any kind of midi hardware (keyboard, midi sequencer, drum pad …) though USB or the classical midi connector.

I haven’t used my SoundCavas since building a Zynthian. You need to add an instant of Fluidsynth for each MIDI channel loading a GM soundfont (provided) and select multitimbral mode then you can play it just like a GM device. Instruments can be selected by Program Change. Fluidsynth built-in reverb and chorus can be used and you can add extra effects from the large selection of LV2 plugins.

Thank you, will most probably go ahead and order one soon.

Hi @MSamurai!

Zynthian can be configured for working perfectly as a GM device with FluidSynth:

• You have to create a layer setup with as many fluidsynth layers as you will use.
  • If you want to use channel 10 as percussion, you have to explicitly load a percussion “preset” on channel 10.
  • You have to disable these options from admin:
    • Single Channel Mode
    • Program Change ZS3

With these 3 little tricks, your zynthian will be working like a GM Device.

I’ve prepared this snapshot that will do everything i’ve described:

002-FluidR3 GM.zss (41.5 KB)

Regards,

1 Like

Makes me wonder if it’d be worth including a pre-configured “General MIDI” snapshot configuration in the images.

2 Likes

I just added the snapshot to the data repo and it would be available on future builds.

Regards,

4 Likes