Guitar Processing

What version of Zynthian software are you using? MOD-UI integration changed in Oram.

Hi Riban,

The latest version?

Cheers,
Maarten

I can’t test this. MOD-UI demands such high resources of the web browser (not Zynthian) that it can take tens of minutes to show the UI. I thought my new laptop worked better with it but no - it is just a spinning (lack of) progress icon.

I like how pretty MOD-UI is (when you can access it) but it doesn’t offer much (if anything) that Zynthian can’t do natively and causes us more greif than it seems to provide benefit to users. I would prefer to drop it.

[Edit] Okay - the MOD-UI web interface came to life. If you use Zynthian UI chain options, Audio In to deselect the Zynthian audio input routing, you can just use MOD-UI audio routing.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

My experience is that if the MOD gui is loaded the screen works perfect, including adding, editting and connecting plugins. I love it!! I think making a nice pidal is much easier to create and edit via the MOD-UI…
I really love Zynthian that it offers so much diversity!! So much to enjoy!! Therofore I do not mind at all to work in diffent screens and layouts. (Zynthian UI and VNC engines screen)

But back to my question… Is there a way to disconnect the direct input<->output PERMANENT?
I mean, can I save the configuration after using patchage to disconnect the direct connection?

Cheers and thanks for all the great effort you put into working on Zybthian and responding to users with questions here.

Enjoy your evening,
Maarten

Hi @maartmaart.

Have you checked your usb audio device wich may have some kind of bypass switch or a “mix” button that will mix raw input with Zynthian’s output ?

When I use a guitar/bass, I usually use an USB soundcard too (Behringer UMC 204 HD) and I don’t remember having such a behavior (but, yeah it’s been a while I didn’t pluged them :wink:

@maartmaart see my comment:

Thanks!

Thank you Brian so VERY much… it works perfect now :slight_smile:

Bypassing effects? :thinking:

…or what we plan to do!

Yes - mod-ui has some features and pretty graphical UI. I want to provide this within Zynthian so that those last few advantages of mod-ui are invalid, i.e. Zynthian does what you need without resorting to mod-ui. It may also help to differentiate more clearly the two products. MOD Dwarf is a great product that will suit a lot of users. Zynthian is different in many ways.

Hi Brian,

Do you know the work of Robin Davies? (GitHub - rerdavies/pipedal: Guitar Effect Pedal for Raspberry Pi 4, with a web interface designed specifically for phones.)
It is a wonderful project, unfortunately Robin is absent for almost a year…
He made some very nice guitar effect plugins. GitHub - rerdavies/ToobAmp: A set of high-quality guitar effect plugins for Raspberry Pi with specific support for PiPedal.
I love them, and tried to use them in Zynthian… however they do not work :frowning:
I hope I can make you enthousiastic to have a look and try… and… that you make them in zynthian… :slight_smile: (also to not let the good work of Robin get forgotten/lost)

Cheers,
Maarten

2 Likes

(*make them work … I mean)

I’m not Brian / @riban , but I almost feel I can channel him, and he’s saying:
“Please make a feature request in the Zynthian issue tracker on Github.”

2 Likes

Genuinely. Please do.

For anyone involved in software in a professional capacity these mechanisms are the bread and butter of development. If throu’ their own enthusiasm to stimulate change, people , from other spheres’ of influence develop an understanding of this well refined process, then that is of benefit to all.

Except, of course, any of my suggestions, for SOME reason…

2 Likes

Chris… :rofl: as always great with words and ‘hidden’ meaning… nice and wise…

Why thank you.

PS … I did not want to ‘bypass’ anybody…

That’s almost worth a punishment submission…

Be warned.

Some of the plugins are similar to, or use the same plugins as already available in Zynthian.

The precompiled deb package does not install due to an error in its dependencies. I have reported this upstream.

To compile from source I had to install librsvg2-dev then run config.sh then build.sh. However, this failed which I have reported upstream.

There is a limit to the amount of time I can spend on this and I am not sure how much benefit it offers. If the issues are resolved upstream then we could take another look and in particular, if there are some specific plugins that are beneficial then we could cherry-pick them and avoid duplicating those that are already provided or well served in Zynthian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks so very much for spending your pecious time on this. :slight_smile: :+1: :+1: :+1:
A shame the install/compile did not work :frowning:
(The plugins are really wery good…)

Thanks again for your effort, attentiveness and accuracy!
Maarten