Headless Zynthian presentation live in one hour!

Reminder to all that I’m doing a presentation on building a Headless Zynthian box with a usb audio interface in conjunction with Hax Festival this morning, starting in about an hour, depending on how long this message takes to compose. Videoconference Link here, in the event that it fails, go hax.skullspace.ca and see what gives, there might be a catastrophic failure of google or something. Not like they know how to do anything but show you ads these days.

It’s been given an hour of time and there might even be a bit of a sequencer performance but it will probably be rather bad, cause that’s not my paradigm at all.

Things are functional enough, I will be able to plug in a keyboard to the Pi and play through the VNC interface exactly as one might. But I have a fiddly problem which, if I can get it sorted in the next hour, will blow the roof off the sucka.

My audio interface is a Boss GP-10, and it doesn’t work right away when you set it to generic USB soundcard, which means I get to demonstrate how to cat /proc/asound/cards and find the device name to make it work, so this is a full-on Linux presentation. Cool!

As far as input, it works perfectly, and the GP-10 offers 8 channels, the first two being the pedal’s summed output, the other six being the individual strings. I setup an audio channel and had it only capture three of the six strings, and when I hit the strings, I only see levels incoming on the ones I selected, so that end of things is working perfectly.

The problem is that I can’t shut off the output of the first two channels, which means that no matter what when I play the guitar, you hear the processed signal.

I attempted to load the audio levels from the main view and the weconf, and they both seem to have no channels at all. Either I’m missing a necessary step or maybe the driver needs setting up a little more.

If I can’t solve it, the scope of the presentation is still covered because I just don’t have to demonstrate the guitar aspects. But obviously, the reason I set this up with the guitar was with the idea of doing things with individual strings, and if I could demo that today, if this is an easy fix, that would be awesome. If not, we’ll get it sorted in time for the next presentation.

2 Likes

How did it go?

Pretty good for a first tech talk. I absolutely never have stagefright for music but I actually had a little mini anxiety episode right before, interesting experience that I chalk up to its being a new kind of performance. I got through the various steps I wanted to get through but I misunderstood my time, I only had 45 minutes so I didn’t get to make barely any bloops.

But, I volunteered for this months ago on the idea that it would be a focus aid to finally get a half-decent streaming/youtubing setup going, and I accomplished that, so from my perspective it’s a huge success. I’m gonna make a more focused version of it as a Youtube video, but I’d like to see if I can get the GP-10 fully implemented first.

edit: I’m told it was recorded and it will be available for replay, but I’ll probably not promote that in favor of a more polished video release.

8 Likes

Hi @jtode,

Congratulations on your brave technical endeavour!

I would be very glad to have a look at the video of the presentation, or possibly (and maybe even more) at the more polished version that you are probably preparing now.

Any chance to follow a link to some visual material anytime soon?

Regards :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should be able to get something knocked out over the weekend I think, I don’t impose big production value requirements on myself but I do want things to move along at a non-boring pace with a minimum of blabblah. My favorite thing is a tutorial video that says “Ok we’re gonna do blah blah, and step one is” and goes, with minimal divergences and supplemental links for rabbit holes. This is what I aspire to, and the talk was not remotely that. :>

2 Likes

Hi

This sounds interesting to me and I would like to look at this as a GP-10 owner. Did you have a tutorial for this? Just asking :slight_smile:

Let me check in with the organizer, he said he would have it up on the webs.

1 Like