Headless zynthian with the parts left in stock?

Hello everyone

I’m considering building a zynthian for live use, I just need organs, pianos and some effects. I’m wondering if it’s possible to build a simple headless Zynthian with the parts that are still available, i.e.:

• Controllers Set v3 & v4
  • ZynAuCon Module
  • ZynADAC v1.0
  • Zynaptik-3 MIDI (MIDI)
  • I already have a Pi
  • MIDI-connectors and ribbon cables, etc. I can find elsewhere

The rotaries are probably not needed for headless, but I’d like a physical volume knob at least.

Thanks!

Better choice is Zynaptik-3 STANDART, you can use it to connect the controllers (from controllers set) by 4 x JST-SH connectors more is described on New Zynaptik-3 module – Zynthian Blog.

You can also use the Zynaptik-3 MIDI version, but then you need to somehow connect the controllers to I2C, I have no experience with that.

Since I didn’t have the Zynaptic-3 MIDI version in hand, I can’t say whether it’s enough to solder the connectors to the MIDI version for upgrade to STANDART version. I would ask @jofemodo for an explanation.

As for the sound card, you can use a ready-made solution ZynADAC v1.0 + ZynAuCon Module. Or use only ZynADAC and add audio connectors of your choice. You can also use an external USB sound card. Behringer UMC are a popular choice.

2 Likes