Help needed, triggering zynseq pattern via external midi

Hey guys, I’m new here and extremely enthusiastic about Zynthian and your work and would like to start by thanking you for it. Unfortunately, despite studying the ZynSeq User Guide intensively several times, I am failing with the operation of the ZynSeq. I want to start a pattern with an external midi signal. I have set the Input Device, the Midi Channel and the Trigger Note:

I can see the incoming midi signal in the midi log:

But the pattern doesn´t start. Playing notes etc via external midi device is working fine, I’ve been experimenting with the patterns and midi signals for days, I tried many midi input devices, but I just can’t trigger patterns with external midi (the external midi clock is also not working, but maybe that issue is linked). Here is the system I am using:

I would love to bring this beast on stage, but i don’t see that happening right now. I would be very happy about any help. Cheers!

Hi @Launce !
Really welcome to zynthian land. I hope we can help you to solve your issues so you can bring your Zyrthian to stage ASAP.
Are you using the last stable version? What hardware are you using? V5? Custom?

Perhaps you could give a try to the testing version, oram-bookworm.

Anyway, I will check the pad triggering with MIDI notes.

Regards

Hi @jofemodo
thanks for your reply.
I am using the last stable version, build date: 2024-01-16
Before buying the V5, I wantet to test if the zynthian is fitting for me, so I am using a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (custom).
Thanks for the hint, I will give bookworm a try.

1 Like

If you want to trigger sequences with an external device, the best option is using a novation launchpad or Akai MPK, that have specific zynthian drivers for this and you don’t need to configure at all. They work plug and play.

If you want to configure a generic device, the MIDI learn mechanism should work too. If it doesn’t, it must be considered a bug, and fixed ASAP.

Regards

1 Like

Maybe the Akai APC Key25 is a better option than the MPK for this (the MPK driver, although finished, isn’t even released yet!) :wink:

3 Likes

Sorry. I wanted to type APC.
Akai MPK is not fully integrated for pad triggering, and it never will be so good as Akai APC and Novation Launchpad/Launchkey because MPK has a single MIDI port and no led feedback in the pads.

Regards

2 Likes

Hey @jofemodo
I installed the oram bookworm, Build Date: 2024-03-01, it runs fine. But the problem remains. I can see the incoming midi signal from the connected midi device in the midi log:
screenshot launce1
But when I try the trigger learn option in the zynPad menu, nothing happens, even though I can clearly see the MIDI IN icon blinking. Right now I am using the built in USB Midi Interface from a XioSynth, connected to the zynthian/raspi. Any ideas? I really appreciate your help!

Question: Did you do an Update from the Software menu in Webconf? If not, I think that would be worth a try.

It seems a regression at some point. I will check tomorrow and fix it.

Regards

Yes. I can confirm it’s not working.
I’ve fixed in oram-bookworm, but i’m not sure i do it in stable. We prefer to focus all resources in releasing oram ASAP.

Update your oram-bookworm image to get it working. Please, note that currently there is no trigger device/channel filtering. I’m working on restoring this right now.

Regards,

1 Like

Hi @Launce !

I just pushed some improvements to the pad trigger system in oram-bookworm. Now you must select device and channel.
By default both are None, what means MIDI-note trigger is disabled. You can select ALL for devices and channels if you like.

Please, note that MIDI notes are ALWAYS routed to chains, unless you load a driver for the device or “uncheck” the device in the MIDI input list from the chain options.

Regards,

1 Like

Hey @jofemodo
I must express my utmost respect at this point, it works! Thank you very much. It’s a bit fiddly to set the trigger notes for different pads, because whenever I jump over a trigger note already set on another pad when selecting a note for a new pad, the trigger note in the first pad is reset to “none”. But I think I can manage that somehow.
Thank you again, I really appreciate your work!

1 Like

It worked in the past and now it works again :wink:

Do you want to assign the same MIDI note for triggering several pads at once?

Regards,

1 Like

yes, I would like to trigger multiple pads with one midi note. But the most important thing for me is that the existing triggers of existing pads are not randomly set to “none” when I assign new triggers to new pads.
Thanks alot for the help!