Hifiberry Digi + Pro at 96khz with x-runs

Hi,
I want to connect the Zynthian (Raspberry 4-2gb, latest build, updates made) to my MX-1 mixer via spdif (with an Hifiberry Digi + Pro).
The MX-1 needs an 96khz signal (or else the other aira devices connected to usb won’t work).
I changed the Jacked Options to 96000
(-P 70 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:sndrpihifiberry -P -S -r 96000 -p 256 -n 2 -X raw)
and it works - but - there are many audio-dropouts and the x-run flashes every few seconds.
When I use 44100 or 48000 Hz - everything works fine - but at 96Khz it doesn’t.

Any Idea or suggestion how to fix this?
Thanks!

First try it with higher period setting ( -p ), like 512 or 1024. Or using a higher buffer ( -n ) to 3. This will increase the latency though.

You could also try setting up a plain headless Debian image. it will have less overhead than the Zynthian, but require more manual configuring and launching.

Hi,
thanks, Baggypants for the quick reply!
Unfortunately changing the Jackd Options to
-P 1024 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:sndrpihifiberry -P -S -r 96000 -p 128 -n 3 -X raw
or
-P 2048 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:sndrpihifiberry -P -S -r 96000 -p 128 -n 6 -X raw
or even to
-P 4096 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:sndrpihifiberry -P -S -r 96000 -p 128 -n 12 -X raw
didn’t make any difference (didn’t increase the latency with one synth layer, either).
Interestingly, even with all synth layers empty, the exclamation mark flashes periodically every 1-3 seconds. Am I missing something?
I haven’t tried the second option yet (setting up a plain headless Debian image) - and I rather didn’t, before I tried everything else…
Thanks for the great work - Zynthian is fantastic! I am aware, that my problem is hardly relevant for most users but for me it would be awesome to use Zynthian with the digital in channel on the Roland MX-1 mixer.

-p not -P you’re changing the number of playback ports, and for goodness sake -p 128 is utterly nuts. You think you have a RPi 6? :rofl:

4 Likes

Hi,
There are a lot of -p-Ps in those settings - can be confusing…
It is working nicely with the following settings:
-P 70 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:sndrpihifiberry -P -S -r 96000 -p 1024 -n 2 -X raw
Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Any chance of a :face_with_monocle: ?