Install difficulties - no ui or web ui

Hi All,

I’m working on a sound project where I have a number of exercycles that can be used to jam some rhythms like a cycling band. Each exercycle is sending midi and the idea is to get in time together and improvise.

Zynthian looks like an amazing project to help me achieve this and I love that it is linux based and open source. I’ve been having a few problems installing on a bare raspberry pi 3 and perhaps someone can guide me a little?

I downloaded zynthian_gorgona_rbpi3-2016-12-21.img and imaged onto the SD card. The system boots OK but halts with a black screen with a non-flashing cursor in the top left.

I can SSH into the pi OK and it seems like X is running, however the web interface is not.

This is not a Zynthian box just a bare raspberry pi.

When I connect a monitor and boot the messages look OK (no Red messages).

I do see a few errors on dmesg:

[    0.157860] bcm2835-aux-uart 3f215040.serial: could not get clk: -517
[    3.409532] stmpe-spi spi0.1: unknown chip id: 0x0
[    3.412191] stmpe-spi: probe of spi0.1 failed with error -22
[    3.533065] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
[    3.553400] pcm512x 1-004d: Failed to reset device: -121
[    3.556307] pcm512x: probe of 1-004d failed with error -121
[    4.969505] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50

Can post the whole log if that helps.

I don’t have a hifiberry plugged in so that error seems normal.

Is the problem that I don’t have any of the expected hardware connected?

Rob

Hi @vdu23!

1.) First, you better use the last SD image:

http://blog.zynthian.org/download/zynthian_gorgona_edge_rbpi3_pitft-2017-09-18.img.torrent

The web configuration tool is not available “out-the-box” with older SD images.

2.) Second, Zynthian SD image won’t work without a proper audio device (DAC). RBPi integrated “audio device” is not suitable for that. The SD image is pre-configured to work with HifiBerry DAC+, although you can use any DAC that works with RBPi (i.e. any I2S device).

Kind Regards!

1 Like

Thanks for your advice @jofemodo. After reading some more I think I understand. I just ordered a DAC and in the meantime i’ll install gorgona edge reconfigure the framebuffer to use hdmi.

Do you know if anyone has had any success using the cheap USB audio interfaces?

Rob

Why do you want a cheap interface in an audio device?

1 Like

Have in mind: USB means additional latency!

I’m looking at Zynthian from a slightly different point of view. So this is why i’m asking strange questions!

Zynthian provides for me:

• Stable Audio OS for Raspberry Pi
  • Software sampler with soundfonts, effects and MIDI
  • Cheap solution for all kinds of interactive audio projects (not just HIFI, not just music)
  • Simple user interface (like an embedded system)

I see Zynthian as a starting point for me to make new things based on the great work you have already done, sometimes these are specific to a certain purpose (like an audio installation).

Making progress slowly!