Instructions out of date and many things do not fit

No! That video format does not play in my browser.

1 Like

The video format that your own forum uses doesn’t work In the moderators browser? Kinda getting to the heart of the problems here heheheh

The touchscreen is also for me not what I am normally used to on other devices like my smartphone. But I learned to use the encoders very quickly. Also I used the CC learning function for external midi controller which has additional encoders and buttons to get even much quicker to where I want.

1 Like

Yes, the touch is resistive not capacitive so requires more pressure, is less accurate and a bit limited, e.g. gestures are more difficult. Zynthian was designed without touch but the touch screen has been more integrated as time has passed.

1 Like

The only time I’ve used the touchscreen has been to unlearn MIDI learns, i haven’t found a great use for it, so I understand that the screen is not top price. I prefer better encoders and more buttons to a better screen :slight_smile:

You REALLY need to read the FAQ’s as well as the documentation from the website. It’s pretty obvious you haven’t. I built a kit from the same batch you received yours (I just finished mine a week or two ago) and I had none of the problems you had.

But to be fair, you bought the kit knowing EXACTLY what was in it. You could have very easily built the Zynthian synth and sourced all of your own parts and avoided all of the “issues” you’re complaining about now. This isn’t a polished major synth manufacturers product. This is a “DIY” project for nerds and the people in charge of it went through the trouble of sourcing a complete kit for those of us who wanted it.

As an aside, your video doesn’t work for me either. What is the file extension and what codec is it? The issue isn’t the website, the issue is my browser, which is Chromium based… the most popular browser in the world. See the error message we are all getting:

“This video cannot be rendered because your browser does not support the codec.”

-Mc

2 Likes

By the way: The video is working for me and I use chrome on IOS…. weird

That makes me believe that the video was recorded on an iPhone and uploaded as a native video format, whatever non-standard codec Apple uses.

Okay - I have played the video on my Android phone. I see this bug reported in the Red Hat issue tracker so maybe a limitation of some codecs on Linux based systems (including my Chromebook). As mentioned above, this is not a limitation of the forum or its users but a compatibility issue between the poster’s video recorder and some member’s computer OS. (I have a lot of computers but not all of the computers!!!)

I see the video shows two issues:

• Touch calibration - There is a function in the admin menu to calibrate the screen which should be used to improve touch registration
  • Touch resolution / pressure - The resistive screen requires more pressure to trigger. A finger tip covers a fairly large area so needs more force to produce the required pressure. This large area also means the detection point may vary, i.e. our stubby fingers may operate away from our intended target point. It is strongly recommended to use a nylon tipped stylus to operate the touch screen which gives a much improved performance.

The official Zynthian screen has limitations. if used as proposed then it works fairly well. If you want a different experience then, as mentioned above you can use a different screen. This has been the subject of much discussion on the forum and many users (me included) have experimented with different sized and different technology screens. I have a 7" capacitave touchscreen that works very well but I also use my standard V4 with a stylus as my main Zynthian in my keyboard rack. I have a stylus lying next to it. (One improvement I would like to make is drill a hole in the top to make a stylus holder.
penholder

So, touch is not the primary interface but we have made it work quite well. The more pressing issue that you mention that seems to have not been investigated is lack of sound. That is rather an important issue! If you are seeing the audio meters moving then that shows the system is creating digital audio. You need to find out why that isn’t reaching your ears…

• Check the configuration in webconf. HARDWARE->KIT should be set to V4.
  • Check your audio connections. Do you have 1/4" TS jack connected between one of the audio output sockets and an amplifier? (Check that audio feed works by using another audio source on the zynthian end of the cable.) I think (@jofemodo can confirm) that you may also use a TSR balanced / differential connection for outputs. (You can use differential inputs but need to set that in the audio menu, see below.)
  • Check the audio output configuration in the Zynthian Audio Levels menu. You can adjust input and output level here and also select the input configuration (single ended / differential).
  • Check the mixer faders are open (up) and not muted (symbol near top of each strip) including the main mix bus (far right of mixer view).
  • Check and recheck all internal physical connections. It has been known for users to connect cables in reverse, offset by one pin (in any of the four directions) and bend pins whilst inserting connectors.
  • In webconf, enable headphones and test output via the 3.5mm headphone jack. This requires a restart. I recommend disabling this when not required as it is lower audio quality and has a technical overhead which reduces performance.
1 Like

It was filmed on my android pixel and it should just be converted when uploaded into whatever codec your website uses. I recorded it with the upload function on your own website.

Yes I already said I need a stylus if it’s a resistive touch screen maybe it would be useful to actually tell us it’s resistive in the specifications? Yes maybe calibration would help but I was not treating it like resistive as u can see in the video. I need to use the end of my finger or nail and press harder.

No I have nothing plugged into the 1/4 jack outputs and yes I am already using the 3.5mm headphones output of the raspberry board with headphones as I am off-grid in a tent. This is off by default? I tried turning things on and off and checking the level meters. I tried turning on something like " rsb headphone " in menu. I have to reboot after this? Ok.

Also the WiFi would not turn on it have me an error as I wanted to check updates.

Maybe I will try one more time before returning it. I’m going to set up mains power to my tent soon.

It’s not my website and the codec is the one used by the recorder. Discourse allows files to be uploaded and presents multimedia files as playable items but it relies on the users computer being able to decode the original file. There is no magic here. If you sent me a betamax video I wouldn’t be able to play it in my VHS machine. If you upload a file encoded in a format that my computer can’t decode then I can’t see it. Fantastic advances in technology have made the world smaller and easier but nothing is perfect.

Using a finger nail tip is a good way to use resistive touch screens. I lived through development of various touch technologies so always check which is used on a device before I invest. Similarly I check the technology used in screen displays. It is best to do research and be informed when parting with your hard earned cash.

Be aware that I am not affiliated with the Zynthian shop. I am a community member. We are a friendly bunch here and treat each other with respect. None of us know everything and we enjoy sharing and learning from each other. Help is forthcoming from many members and more so if requested with courtesy and a positive attitude.

Headphone output is disabled by default as described earlier. It is actually the onboard audio output of the Raspberry Pi which is a low quality interface. Due to how alsa (and most other audio frameworks) works, a second audio device needs to be sample rate converted which is an expensive operation, reducing the resources available for music making.

I’ve not had a lot of success with WiFi. It seems temperamental. I would like to see improvements with it but it isn’t a core feature. MIDI & Audio are the most important things in this box.

I hope that after reading the wiki and searching this forum for info you may find answers that will help you enjoy this little box of wonders. It has its limitations but is an amazing treasure chest that is bringing not to many users. May you be blessed with similar fun and entertainment.

9 Likes