Interface stuck if program change is "aggressive" [SOLVED]

Hi, i’m finally ready (almost) for software test, after some trouble with hardware.
I attached zyn to an arranger (a korg is40) and prepared multichannel snapshot with correct midi channels.
starting easily with only 3 channels (drums, bass and accompaniament)
Everything seems ok, but sometimes, if i change arrangeament.
Zyn continues to play, but interface is stuck. nothing works anymore, encoders or touch. Anyone experienced this?

Hi @ivanmonterosso!

Do you send program change from your keyboard?

Anyway, it seems the UI deads while the sound engine continues to work. Please, could you run the zynthian UI from the command line and send the output when the UI dead?

You must login into your zynthian box and type:

# systemctl stop zynthian
# /zynthian/zynthian-sys/sbin/zynthian.sh

Thanks!

OK.

these are the last lines before ui stucks…

DEBUG:root:LSCP SEND => CREATE EFFECT_INSTANCE LADSPA ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/tap_reverb.so’ 'tap_reverb’
DEBUG:root:LSCP RECEIVE => ERR:0:There is no such effect ‘LADSPA’ ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/tap_reverb.so’ ‘tap_reverb’

ERROR:root:0 (ERR)
DEBUG:root:LSCP SEND => CREATE EFFECT_INSTANCE LADSPA ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/tap_chorusflanger.so’ 'tap_chorusflanger’
DEBUG:root:LSCP RECEIVE => ERR:0:There is no such effect ‘LADSPA’ ‘/usr/lib/ladspa/tap_chorusflanger.so’ ‘tap_chorusflanger’

DEBUG:root:LSCP SEND => CREATE FX_SEND 0 12
DEBUG:root:LSCP RECEIVE => OK[0]

INFO:root:MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE 1, CH10
INFO:root:MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE 1, CH11
INFO:root:Preset Selected: Bass 2 (1)

i then restarted UI from terminal, everything turned normal.
also i found some other errors on output:

./zynthian.sh: line 26: /etc/X11/zynthian: No such file or directory
[…]
ERROR:root:Can’t load snapshot ‘default.zss’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'default.zss’
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Snapshot’: 0 (0 -> 7), None, None

But “Default.zss” is present…
It seems happened after i changed snapshot names (with WinSCP, not terminal) to be more recognizable, and now it’s only able to save/overwrite onto present snapshots, can’t create new ones.
should i Make another topic?

Hi @ivanmonterosso!

Does the error happens after sending a “program change” from your keyboard?

Regarding the “default.zss”, take into account that in Linux upper/lower are significant. “Default.zss” is not the same than “default.zss”.

Thanks!

the error happens not every time a program change is sent, but if several program changes on several channels are sent, after a couple of times.

OK! Please, open an issue in the github “zynthian-ui” repository. I will try so reproduce and solve it ASAP.

Thanks!

there was a problem with github days ago… now it works. but before posting the issue, i’m trying to make a controlled multichannel test with Live, with known program changes or automations inside the sequencer.

i checked and default zss is all lowercase… but even with Upper/Lower it does not load automatically

1 Like

OK! You are right. It doesn’t work. I will fix it ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Hi @ivanmonterosso!

The problem “loading the default snapshot on startup” is solved. You have to change your zynthian-ui repository to “master” branch (currently it will be in “webconf”). You can do it easily by login into your Zynthian box and typing:

# cd /zynthian/zynthian-ui
# git checkout .
# git fetch
# git checkout master
# systemctl stop zynthian
# systemctl start zynthian

Regards!

1 Like

done. Working. Thanks :slight_smile:

I have a related problem now. I was playing with Linux Sampler and then I send a program change from my midi keyboard, with this there was suddenly no sound coming out anymore even though no progam change actually happened.
I am using this Midi filter rule: IGNORE CH#0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 PG

Then, when I go to the main menue, remove all layers and try to get back to the sound Zynthian crashes in the midi channel selection screen.

Summary

INFO:root:Starting Engine LinuxSampler
INFO:root:Connecting with LinuxSampler Server…
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(CREATE AUDIO_OUTPUT_DEVICE JACK ACTIVE=‘true’ CHANNELS=‘2’ NAME=‘LinuxSampler’ SAMPLERATE=‘44100’
): timed out
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER None 0 NAME=‘Channel 1’
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Channel’: 0 (0 -> 16), None, None
INFO:root:Short Switch 3
WARNING:root:zynthian_gui.zyncoder_read() => 0 (ERR)

I can select other sound engines than Linux sampler still, but there is no sound coming out.

This is how it looks, when I was in another engine before and then went to linux sampler:

Summary

INFO:root:Getting Preset List for Dual
DEBUG:root:PRESET LIST =>
[(’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0001-Layered1.xiz’, [12, 0, 0], ‘Layered1’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0002-Layered2.xiz’, [12, 0, 1], ‘Layered2’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0005-Organ and Saw.xiz’, [12, 0, 4], ‘Organ and Saw’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0007-Organ Choir Pad1.xiz’, [12, 0, 6], ‘Organ Choir Pad1’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0008-Organ Choir Pad2.xiz’, [12, 0, 7], ‘Organ Choir Pad2’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0033-Rhodes Strings1.xiz’, [12, 0, 32], ‘Rhodes Strings1’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0034-Rhodes Strings2.xiz’, [12, 0, 33], ‘Rhodes Strings2’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0035-Rhodes Strings3.xiz’, [12, 0, 34], ‘Rhodes Strings3’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0036-Rhodes Strings4.xiz’, [12, 0, 35], ‘Rhodes Strings4’, ‘xiz’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual/0065-Dream of the Saw.xiz’, [12, 0, 64], ‘Dream of the Saw’, ‘xiz’)]
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Preset’: 4 (0 -> 10), None, None
INFO:root:Short Switch 1
DEBUG:root:BACK TO SCREEN => bank
DEBUG:root:BANK INDEX => 12
DEBUG:root:BANK LIST =>
[(’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/my-data/zynbanks/XLZ’, 0, ‘MY/XLZ’, ‘MY’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/my-data/zynbanks/XMZ’, 1, ‘MY/XMZ’, ‘MY’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/my-data/zynbanks/XSZ’, 2, ‘MY/XSZ’, ‘MY’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Arpeggios’, 3, ‘Arpeggios’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Bass’, 4, ‘Bass’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Brass’, 5, ‘Brass’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Choir and Voice’, 6, ‘Choir and Voice’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Collection’, 7, ‘Collection’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Companion’, 8, ‘Companion’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Cormi_Noise’, 9, ‘Cormi Noise’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Cormi_Sound’, 10, ‘Cormi Sound’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Drums’, 11, ‘Drums’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Dual’, 12, ‘Dual’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Fantasy’, 13, ‘Fantasy’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Guitar’, 14, ‘Guitar’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Laba170bank’, 15, ‘Laba170bank’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Misc’, 16, ‘Misc’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Noises’, 17, ‘Noises’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Organ’, 18, ‘Organ’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Pads’, 19, ‘Pads’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Plucked’, 20, ‘Plucked’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Reed and Wind’, 21, ‘Reed and Wind’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Rhodes’, 22, ‘Rhodes’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Splitted’, 23, ‘Splitted’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Strings’, 24, ‘Strings’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/Synth’, 25, ‘Synth’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/SynthPiano’, 26, ‘SynthPiano’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/net-wisdom’, 27, ‘net-wisdom’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/olivers-100’, 28, ‘olivers-100’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/olivers-other’, 29, ‘olivers-other’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/the_mysterious_bank’, 30, ‘the mysterious bank’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/the_mysterious_bank_2’, 31, ‘the mysterious bank 2’, ‘’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/the_mysterious_bank_3’, 32, ‘the mysterious bank 3’, '’), (’/zynthian/zynthian-ui/data/zynbanks/the_mysterious_bank_4’, 33, ‘the mysterious bank 4’, ‘_’)]
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Bank’: 12 (0 -> 34), None, None
INFO:root:Short Switch 1
DEBUG:root:BACK TO SCREEN => layer
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Layer’: 0 (0 -> 5), None, None
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Layer’: 0 (0 -> 4), None, None
INFO:root:Stoping Engine ZynAddSubFX
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Engine’: 0 (0 -> 7), None, None
INFO:root:Starting Engine LinuxSampler
INFO:root:Connecting with LinuxSampler Server…
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(CREATE AUDIO_OUTPUT_DEVICE JACK ACTIVE=‘true’ CHANNELS=‘2’ NAME=‘LinuxSampler’ SAMPLERATE=‘44100’
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER None 0 NAME=‘Channel 1’
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER None 1 NAME=‘Channel 2’
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER None 0 JACK_BINDINGS=‘system:playback_1’
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER None 1 JACK_BINDINGS=‘system:playback_2’
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(CREATE MIDI_INPUT_DEVICE JACK ACTIVE=‘true’ NAME=‘LinuxSampler’ PORTS=‘1’
ERROR:root:FAILED lscp_send_single(SET VOLUME 0.45
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Channel’: 0 (0 -> 16), None, None
WARNING:root:zynthian_gui.zyncoder_read() => 0 (ERR)

Could you open an issue in the github UI repo?

Thanks!

ok, i did! and now i see the post needs to be 20 characters, so I’m writing a little more

Thanks! I will try to reproduce the error …

1 Like

any news about that already?

alright, I guess the problem was in my midi rule setup. I selected channel 1 as source channel, but this then becomes CH#0 after adding it. Is there a reason for this?
One thing remains though: Right now I cant make Zynthian ignore the volume knob of my controller, which I had working before. Not sure if its me or the software…
Even with this rule Zynthian still follows my midi keyboards volume knob, do I have to do it differently?:

IGNORE CH#1 CC#0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,74,75,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,100,101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,110,111,112,113,114,115,116,117,118,119,120,121,122,123,124,125,126,127

Hi @Hampelschwein!

1.) Although UIs normally express MIDI channels from 1 to 16, internally, the MIDI protocol uses 0 to 15.
Same is true for controller numbering (0-127), and so on …
The MIDI router rule syntax uses this internal notation, as it’s closed to the machine. I choose to do in such a way because i think is good that zynthian users learn this kind of things :wink:

2.) Your rule can be simple if you write: IGNORE CH#0 CC#0:127
Note that you have to write CH#0 for MIDI channel 1 :wink:

Anyway, probably you don’t need to ignore all the controllers and only need to ignore 7 and 11:

IGNORE CH#0 CC#7,11

This will ignore Volume and Expression controllers :wink:

Kind Regards,

ok, but if I add channel 0 to the rule aforementioned crashes happen!

Is your software updated to the last versions?
I commited a bugfix some days ago that could solve the “crash” problem …

Regards,