Introduce yourself!

Wait until we know if the hifiberry ADC + DAC one is really balanced.

1 Like

Hi everybody.

I am not sure this is the right place to start for a newcomer anymore (Please tell me… it looks inactive since 2019, but I wouldn’t know where else to go!)

So my name is Jérôme, from France, and here I am just starting to discover the Zynthian galaxy which seems absolutely awesome :grinning: :upside_down_face: :star_struck: ! I had been looking for many music/synth projects around the Raspberry before, but never found something that looked so “serious” (=professional) and so fun at the same time ! And the fact that it is “community driven” sounds even more fascinating to me. :family_man_woman_girl_boy:

So while I am gently waiting for my future kit to arrive in January, I was already wondering how to get in touch with some other users in real life ! I mean I know the forum seems really lively and massive, but I would also love to be able to see a demonstration with my own eyes ! And of course, when I am confident enough in the future, I sure will love to demonstrate to anyone else !

So could you tell me guys if there is anything meant to get people in touch (for those who are volunteers for that obviously).

Thanks a lot zynthianers :wink:

3 Likes

I’d suggest searching the forum for Zynthian Club, but the first rule of Zynthian Club is…

Hi @clandestino

Welcome to, what I think is a wonderful, friendly and enthusiastic community… but I may be a touch biased :smiley:. This is definitely the right place to introduce yourself and thank you for reviving this topic. Let’s hope others now see it and introduce themselves too.

Zynth Club is an irregular online meeting of irregular people. We talk about various subjects, even Zynthian occasionally. It is the only place where you can actually meet other Zynthianeers without stalking someone. (There are those who do stalk - beware our friends in the North!) Don’t be shy to post a new topic here in Discourse if you want to discuss something but do read around first and/or search to see if the topic already exists. Also check out the wiki for lots of documentation. (You have already proved your good intentions by digging deep enough to find this old topic.)

Hi @riban and everyone !

Yes you’re right ! I have no doubt that this Zynthian community is fantastic, actually that’s one of the reason why I decided to jump into the project as well. I noticed this strong human approach when I first contacted @jofemodo, then I found that this project is based on a beautiful vision of what technology should be : a great tool a the service of people (and not the other way round!!!).

Anyway. To be very factual, is there any Zynth club meeting planned soon ? I would love to take part in it ?

And about meeting people in real life, yes of course I can randomly try to contact user X or Y… but I am deeply convinced that among all users, some of them would love to be able to connect to other “neighbors” (I mean on the scale of Earth :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: ) but wouldn’t know how to do it or wouldn’t think about it naturally…

So have you ever considered a tool to facilitate this connection (again only based on volunteering, i.e. people who are willing to share/show/teach/learn in real life) ? Something like this for eg. (interactive Map of labs in the world) ???

So far I have searched the forum and haven’t found this topic much highlighted…

2 Likes

Hi @clandestino !

I’ve been part of “Made MakerSpace BCN” (that it’s not in the Makery map!!) for a long time. Now i live in the country side, and the nearest Lab i know is the BeachLab on Sitges (@CesarGarcia).

Anyway, perhaps this map could be also interesting for you:

Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi @jofemodo !

Ah believe me, if I were around I would love to go to a makerspace in Barcelona… I am just crazy about this city :heart_eyes: (I even have some roots from there…).

Anyway, very interesting map, but looks like it’s meant more to show city names and machine names rather than users ! So I guess if my Zynthian box wants to contact another Zynthian box, I could show it this map :wink: :rofl: :upside_down_face: !!!

What about you, zynthian masters/creators ! How would you feel about helping zynthian people connecting in real life ? I suppose the idea has already crossed your mind… any thoughts ?

PS: I am quite sure the Raspberry Pi community in France used to have such a map of users, but I don’t know if it exists anymore, maybe the community is too big for such a tool now…

Hi @clandestino. Every zynthian machine has, normally, a fellow zynthianer associated (*). The map help you to check if there is some zynthianer near of you. Contacting them is your task :wink:

(*) In the case of @wyleu , every zynthian device he owns only have 1/10 user or so :grin:

Regards,

I am not sure I got it… on the link you sent, the first map is… empty (just a white big space instead). then later on the same topic @vande adds a 2nd interactive map which I can read. Then every single location gives you a link towards… google images of the city ! Then how am I supposed to know who is behind this city ?

Requests and announcements are made in Zynth club topic.

Thanks @riban, It makes sense :). A good landmark for me :slight_smile:

Hi @clandestino a french mate here.

I wouldn’t be so enthusiastic with these spanish guys :hugs:.
A so called “Alfonzo V d’Aragon” has stolen something here in Marseille:

Here is the stolen piece, in the Cathedral of Valencia (Spain)

Alfonzo V also sacked the city 3 days long …

Ok, it was in 1423, and … in fact … who likes chains :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Exclusive: I’ve heard that city of Marseille has still an official request to Spain/Valencia authorities that are on hold because of no response :rofl: They want the chains to be back !!!

Yes. it can’t be denied, so we must pay for our ancestors crimes by writing open source code for extremely noisy devices :sweat_smile: I fear some old english lords also took some little “souvenir” in their friendly visits to their breton neighbourghs … and their descendants are paying in the same way too !! :laughing:

But french? They never took souvenirs … :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

Hi guys…

I wouldn’t know what to say about all this history facts, I am really to ignorant about all that… and I guess many countries (esp. Europeans) have done terrible things in the past … :imp:

But one of the quality of Zynthian is that it’s an international project, and also that it is music oriented, so that’s more than enough to get me enthusiastic :slightly_smiling_face: ! Might sound a little bit naive :innocent: but anyway that’s my point of view !.. :grin:

2 Likes

Ohhh!! We like to make this kind of jobs… don’t take It too seriously :smile:

1 Like

I see, you make jokes even with the word “jokes” :wink: ! kind of “inception” joke I guess :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It’s more like the word “jobs” making “jokes” with my posts … :grin:

3 Likes

Clearly some sort of electronic spirit message from the Apple Corps founder himself.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Ricard, I live in Sweden although I’m originally from Montreal, Canada. Now a few years past 50 years of age, I’ve been into music and synthesizers for many years, although never professionally. In my younger days, I was into synthesizer design and construction. I haven’t built anything for many years though, although I’ve done a bit of repair and mod work on a couple of machines (Ricard's synthesizer page).

Traditionally I’ve stayed clear of software synthesizers, as I’ve felt they have been too abstract for me, as I really like to have a hands-on relationship with my instruments, but an instrument like the Zynthian seems to strike a very good compromise between a hardware and software. I purchased my Zynthian a few months ago, but haven’t had time to get into it until the last couple of days. Mainly my interest in a couple of instruments such as ZynAddSubFX, NoizeMak3r and Dexed, which I’ve already had some experience from in a laptop enviroment; these three for me stand out from the crowd in terms of sonic quality.

I’m a programmer by profession, so diving into the Zynthian code base is not entirely daunting, and it is rewarding to work with music related applications, although it’s always frustrating when starting out in a new environment when I have no idea what does what.

Recently, I’ve done a bit of work on ZynAddSubFX, including a voice limit feature which I think is very useful in a fairly resource limited environment like the RPi in order not to run out of DSP. I’ve had some issues with the Zynthian UI when upgrading ZynAddSubFX though, so I’ll possibly be posting in a couple of other threads with questions.

In the end, its all about music, which I enjoy playing, so I have to be careful not to devote all my spare time to software development, even though that is rewarding in itself.

10 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Dirk and I’m new to the Zynthian and this forum. At the end of december last year I ordered the Zynthian Kit and when reading about chip crisis I am glad to have a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM left and in reserve that perfectly completes the Zynthian :slight_smile:

First I like to say that I’m very surprised and impressed about the Zynthian! Hats off to the developers and the many efforts that went into the development - wow!

Right now I started discovering all the instruments and basic principles of this device. And I am very happy that there is the linux pianoteq plugin integrated out of the box. So I can reuse my “dusty” unused license :grinning: and have the pianoteq pianos together with Zynthian available in a compact and mobile device.

A few years ago I build up a Windows based VST host PC with integrated midi interface, small touch screen monitor - a lot of big stuff to carry. Now there is the small Zynthian device with everything on board, great. And I like open source and Linux. :slight_smile:

6 Likes