Kit v4. No sound on headphones? [SOLVED!]

Buster changed the names of the audio devices. What is the output of aplay -l?

Thanks for the tip. That worked for me as a work around. Not updated yet though, on a clean install of the SD.

Hi @zynthianers!

I’ve been working on this and implemented the solution proposed by @Baggypants (my today’s hero!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:).
Simply update your zynthian and a new option for enabling/disabling headphones will appear on the UI’s admin menu. I preferred to have the option for disabling it because when enabled, it takes about 5% of one CPU Core …

Be warned that the “headphones” output from the RBPi is not the same quality that the HifiBerry. I don’t recommend you to use it for recording or sending to PA.

Regarding the “unlabeled” headphones output on the Hifiberry, it’s not an output at all, but a stereo unbalanced Line IN :wink:

Enjoy!

8 Likes

@jofemodo

Thank you so much! What a fantastic community and speedy response all round! :grinning:

1 Like

Amazing.

I have tried this on my new Zynthinan V4. I can hear audio through the headphones after enabling them in the admin menu, but only when using the ‘Test Audio’ feature. I cannot hear playback from any instruments I add.

Normally hearing the test audio but not synth sounds is jack not started properly.

Do you hear anything on the ‘normal’ outputs?

1 Like

Updated this morning. For me, it has the same behaviour whether the Headphones option is selected or not.

[ ] Headphones

• ‘Audio test’ song plays through headphones
  • Instruments play through HifiBerry RCA outputs

[x] Headphones

• ‘Audio test’ song plays through headphones
    *Instruments play through HifiBerry RCA outputs

(While I’m here, just a few off-topic notes)

• Received my V4 yesterday and everything was perfect, built it from the instructions with zero problems. Thanks to @jofemodo and everyone else :raised_hands:
  • I’m going to use this one mostly to carry around and use with headphones, so once again the speed at which the community supports and enhances the project is amazing :hearts:
  • Having played with a custom Zynthian for years now I I’ve heard the ‘test audio’ song 1000 times and have grown to love it. Please never change it. :smile:
3 Likes

Yes the mental uplift when you hear the first call of the voice…

it’s such a explosive confirmation,

“well at least the wires go to the right places !!!”

2 Likes

Have you rebooted your zynthian after updating? A reboot is needed …

He’s Papito Angarica praying for Oya … a deep roots Afrocuban tradition. It uses the “Yoruba” language as remembered by cuban black people after centuries of slavery. The drums are the sacred Batá, which i love and learn.

The best!

4 Likes

Ran update software again, and rebooted. Same behaviour as above, and toggling the headphones option doesn’t do anything.

(Zynthian v4, Buster RC2)

I will SSH in later and see if I can spot any errors.

Please, send the output of “aplay -l” …

Headphones on:
root@zynthian:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/7
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
card 2: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplusadcpro], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ADC Pro HiFi multicodec-0 [HiFiBerry DAC+ADC Pro HiFi multicodec-0]
Subdevices: 0/1

Headphones off:
root@zynthian:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/7
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
card 2: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplusadcpro], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ADC Pro HiFi multicodec-0 [HiFiBerry DAC+ADC Pro HiFi multicodec-0]
Subdevices: 0/1

There is no alsa device called “Headphones”. @jofemodo is there a step missing which names the device?

Raspberry Pi OS team has changed recently the ALSA device names, without a note.
Recent SD images works with “Headphones”, older ones with “ALSA”. I’m thinking about the best way of detecting and fixing.

Regards,

1 Like

Rather weirdly I played some music through the inputs and the sound only came out of the 3.5mm input by the phono ports. Then everything errored so I did a clean SD install and now I’m back to square one and the headphone tickbox does not work to activate the headphone socket.

It should be fixed now. Please, update, reboot and test again …

1 Like

Updated and rebooted. I can no longer see the Headphones option in the admin menu.

Please let me know if I can send you any more info :grinning:

I concur with @Fitz - no headphone option in admin menu after update and several reboots. I updated from the Zynthian and then again from webconf, rebooting between each update.

1 Like

Could you execute this command?

get_rbpi_audio_device.sh

Thanks