MIDI-DIN5-IN to USB->Out (Solved)

Btw,
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help @ToFF @riban @jofemodo

Hi @PeterLuck ,

Before you go crazy, try bypassing the midi tracing in Zynthian and doing it in the other RPI, I assume you have PatchBox Os there.

-----------------
Keyboard 1 ->  | RPI           |              |-> Zynthian DIM
Keyboard 2 ->  | SuperCollider |-> MidiMate ->|
GPIO pedal ->  | mididings     |              |-> BeatBuddy DIM
               -----------------                

mididings for routing midi signals
MidiMate is USB MIDI interface anf is possible used it as two output device (I have two and working on raspi)

Maybe it will be an easier way for you

What mode is set for the capture device? What channel are you using for the packages?
Note that using MULTI mode will cause only packages matching the chain channel reaches the chain. All the rest all filtered. Using OMNI or ACTI modes will translate all messages to the chain’s channel

Regards

Can you chat now? I want to solve this :wink:

:firecracker: :crazy_face: :crab:
I have a note in-my-very-hand from my therapist attesting to my sanity.

^ Nice ! Never heard of it. I’ve used Archlinuxarm for a while but now Debian.

^ I have way too much of these spreaded around the house. They have proven time again their complete loyalty.

^ Tried all of them (many time switching to test) but I figure I want OMNI in this case.

^ Tried 10 (the one I need in this case) but tried 1 also.

^ Hold on, I’ll just put on some pants and I’m there.

Breakthrough !!!

It is only CC messages that do not get transferred.

Have you guys only tested with notes ? Can you try (pretty pretty please :pleading_face:) with CC or what not ?

Oh, I get it, @jofemodo now that is just a sick (and maddening) joke to play on people… :wink:

By the way, in my use case I only used CC and program changes maybe it’s why it wasn’t so obvious to all. (Or maybe is it still only on my side ? :scream:)

So look on MidiHub from Blokas, maybe it will be helpful for you.

Yes! I realised this after I reported seeing the same issue as you (above in this thread). I too was sending CC from a foot controller. It is a quirk of Zynthian operation that MIDI notes are treated different to MIDI CC. It is a powerful feature that allows complex configuration of MIDI control of Zynthian but does not provide the expected pass-through behaviour. Because of the way Zynthian is designed and works we may need to consider whether such a workflow can / should / could be implemented. (Of course we would want to allow any workflow but need to consider how it might impact the primary workflows.)

If @jofemodo has discussed this with you then I am sure his mind (and maybe fingers) has been working on a solution already. Introduce an itch and he tends to scratch it!!! :wink: The idea of (simple) MIDI routing has been bouncing about in my mind since day-one but there has been too much else to build (have fun with) and it hasn’t been an issue for my setup so its not an itch I have yet needed to scratch. (And frankly, scratching someone else’s itch is indelicate and maybe quite rude!!!)

Headline for anyone who didn’t follow everything so far: Zynthain MIDI chains pass MIDI notes through but consume MIDI CC based on any MIDI Mapping / Learning. We may resolve this in a future version. (Chain Manager branch @jofemodo?)

OK! Then it’s clear where the problem is.

We have 2 options here:

• Improve the global MIDI thru, so we can config source and destiny devices from the UI. It should be configured using a kind of “grid” view.

• Improve chain routing, so CC & PC can pass thru chains, capturing only what is learned. This implies to keep lists of learned CC & PC in the zyncore library. Indeed, we can see this as a first step to move all MIDI learning stuff to the zyncore.

Alternately, we could consider implementing a “flag” to enable/disable CC/PC capturing for a chain, but i don’t like the idea too much.

Regards!

^ I think I now get this design.

^ For sure.

^ That I love much much.

But why should Note(on|off),PC,CCs events be treated differently in the first place‽

Alesis-V61

^ Say you want to use the 4x2 pad on the (oh so cheap) V61 above (pads which by default send Note events) to change presets on the Zynthian.

A long time ago I event use actual note event to trigged PC and CCs. (Which turns out to be a very bad idea might you decide in the moment to arpegio your way in a grandiose finale that actually change sounds or what not).

If you look at the very end of my keyboard, I used few keys to do random stuff.

Notes are filtered by channel then sent to the appropriate chain(s) where further processing may occur, e.g. transpose, limit range, etc.

Zynthian removes the upstream default CC mapping and implements its own allowing any CC can be mapped to any control. This can be a bit confusing and frustrating initially but is a core behaviour that provides a real strength. A consistent and flexible way to assign CC to controls.

1 Like

Yes I get that @riban . But why then unassigned (unlearned) CCs and PCs would get blocked when they are not assigned? My other point is : I use Notes to do CC stuff and I do use CCs to do even note stuff. Isn’t that why MIDI is still to this day present on all professional sound boards and lighting boards? Be it Yamaha QL5 or GrandMa, both do not have a clue of what Notes are, but still they sends en receives it triggering sometime very complex setup (Curtains, Effects rack). Heck I even had a DMX coffee machine I made myself. (Granted DMX =! MIDI).

Maybe I got the feature concept wrong but I think @jofemodo avenue :

is the way to go.

Hi @PeterLuck !

FYI, I’ve been improving the MIDI routing and now everything works as expected and all messages are routed thru the chains.

You will have to wait a little bit because it’s not merged on the testing branch yet. It’s in a development branch.

But it will be soon :ok_hand:

1 Like

Please advise when, this is of particular interest to me as well. I have a Boss GP-10, which is still widely regarded as one of the best guitar synth pedals out there in terms of performance and sound, but the one serious downfall of the thing is, only USB midi.

I have successfully sent notes to it through the USB, so it does receive, and it actually has a pretty decent sounding little synthesizer in it besides, one of the factory patches is a dead-on copy of the main lead in Separate Ways by Journey (you may not recognize the name but you know the song if you’re over 40).

I assume it’s the chain_manager branch ?

I’m spamming git pull on all those repositories. (eager to test this)

Might this be of interest to anyone, I use mr to manage all those repositories of yours e.g. :
$ mr update # to update all registered subfolders
$ mr run command git branch --all # to run arbitrary commands

1 Like

Yes, you are right. It’s chain manager branch. Be warned that going back to stable/testing is not easy. Once you change to chain manager, you should keep in there or re-burn the SD.

Chain manager still need some adjustments, but it’s functional. Anyway, please give feedback of the issues you discover.

Regards

1 Like

I’ve been warned. Anywho I’ll wait for it to be merged in testing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @zynthianers!

I’ve cherry picked the changes related to MIDI routing and applied them to testing.
Please, update and test!

Also, please, tell me if you have “lag” when routing thru USB-MIDI (type B connector).

Enjoy!

1 Like

It works !!! :scream:
its_alive2

3 Likes