MIDI Status LEDs not mating securely with headers

I just got the brand new v4 kit, and am in the process of building it. I discovered that the LED leads are of too narrow a gauge to mate securely with their dupont headers. Has anyone else noticed this? One of the headers is not super loose, so I may leave it, but I’ve had to solder the other two.

Some dupont connectors are too loose and you have to press the metal a little bit for getting a good connection. Anyway, the best you can do is soldering the wire. The Dupont connectors are only a workaround for allowing a build 100% solderless.

Sorry for the issue … I will add a comment to the wiki’s tutorial to avoid future problems like this.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought about trying to pull the female pins and recrimping, but soldering was honestly easier.

Hello!
I had to turn around the pcb from the right encoders to keep the upper one from pushing against the led connector and pulling it off.
I thought about soldering, but that workaround was quicker and so far it works

1 Like

Yes. On v4 the encoders should be inverted to avoid pushing the LEDs. I will change this on the wiki ASAP.

Thanks!

1 Like

Oh! I’m glad I hadn’t yet tried putting the case together: I haven’t yet started testing. Here’s the new orientation and harness routing for my encoders.

3 Likes