Midi Virtual Input Device

I experimented a little with the new chain model in oram. I really like it that it is more transparent. Getting rid of OMNI and not hiding it behind a bold click f.e.
Event the migration of snapshots with cloned channels worked. Nice work, @riban

Ok, so for a setup with different devices, I can run a mixed mode with acti or multitimbral mode.
But what if I only have the good old Din-5 connected which sends multiple channels, because I stacked the keyboards via Midi Through externally.
Is it possible to say, that Midi channel 1 is “Acti” and the others are multi?

Something like defining virtual input devices which split physical input devices by midi channel groups?

In my case I have a Midi Channel 1 sending keyboard and I like to Midi Through a D50, which is broken but Midi still works. And use that in multitimbral mode.

1 Like

Can you use multitimbral mode for the DIN-5 input? This way you can enable it on several chains but each chain will only react to notes on the appropriate MIDI channel.

But I want input channel 1 behave like former ACTi mode. Only what comes in above 1 as multitimbral

Maybe a MIDI filter might be a work-around for now.

I have had in the back of my mind the idea of device drivers for the DIN-5 input. I have various kit that might benefit, e.g. my Fostex MixTab. A configurable device driver may benefit you.

1 Like

I think the filter is too late in the chain.
My zynthian runs multiple engines simultaneously. During live gigs, I only use zs3 to switch presets. It will be interesting to see, if the new model can do all that.
It should be possible to let the D50 play the engine on channel 1 as well. I don’t see midi filter do that.

Will you give an example of the workflow? I can’t see how having only chain 1 as active mode is of any benefit. Active mode allows you to target all MIDI input to the selected chain.

I have this midi master keyboard, which has an integrated zynthian. There is a USB midi controller for the keys integrated which I can’t change. then I connect the D50 externally and let it do multitimbral. That’s all possible. BUT. I have a second zynthian which I use because I only want to move a zynthian between home and rehearsal room. Now all midi traffic comes in via DIN-5, because I chained the primary zynthian with that “travelling” zynthian via DIN-5. And now that engine information is lost. Yes , it won’t be possible to play midi channel 1 with the D50 then, but at least the others can be multitimbral.

Of course I could change the input devices everytime I change the devices setup. But isn’t this stores in the zs3 as well so that I had to do it everytime I trigger a zs3 via program change?

I also have a good candidate for this: a nice mackie controller, a little old with just legacy MIDI ports (no USB), but perfectly working with all faders going up & down. I would like to implement a mackie control driver.

Regards,

1 Like

I’m not sure, but probably yes, it’s saved in ZS3 state. Anyway, it should be tested.

Regards,