Modulation and UI questions

Zynthian becoming modular…

Sorry, does not work for me. I never get the new plugins in the list of available ones. Perhaps because the installation script is inside the “pending” folder?

hmmm, there is a script in the normal recipe folder… will try this first by calling it manually.

Regards, Holger

No, it seems that everything is installed at /usr/local/lib/lv2/. But a mv /usr/local/lib/lv2/qmidiarp*" /zynthian/zynthian-plugins/lv2 helps…

@C0d3man, did you follow all the steps ?

Yes. But there was an update problem (see issue #274). After fixing it and updating/rebooting again there were no qmidiarp plugins, so I had to install them by hand.

[EDIT] For the Z_v4 (with slightly better updated software) this problem does not happen - everything works fine. That’s sometimes a little bit strange - a little bit like Windows 95/98… It seems to be a problem when not updating regularly. With too many steps in between strange errors occur. Unfortunately I have no solution for this problem.

Regards, Holger

If you are no updating from RC-2 SD image, you will have problems for sure. I ONLY test updates on last image…

That’s the strange thing: I have RC2 on all my Z’s. Next time I have to take a snapshot before updating.

I think there is sometimes a problem with dependencies of previous updates, which are not done when not updating regularly.

BTW: My Z_v4 has had no problem when with updating - it’s the machine with the most frequently updates in my arsenal.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

I will try to improve this by testing updates on fresh-burned SD images.

Thanks!

1 Like

I am still interested in one thing he said, would it make sense to be able to make presets and sound design in the unit itself?

I’ve been thinking about this and maybe we can make ui module that shows an overview of all parameters (or at least the ones assigned to midi) so we can sound design more on the unit itself.
I know this is a huge thing to implement but maybe for some of the more basic synths (TAL NoiseMaker, for example) it would make sense?

So, I did now the following:

1. Download latest Image (2020-09-05-zynthianos-buster-lite-armhf-1.0.0.img, refererenced from web page).
  2. Installation
  3. Reboot
  4. Update
  5. Reboot
  6. Restoring data backup
  7. Reboot
  8. Installing and activating PT-6.7.3
  9. Reboot (hi WIndows :woozy_face:)
  10. Setting UI and Hardware options (PiScreen-2.8" res, Prototype-3H, HifiB-DAC+)
  11. Reboot

The first strange thing: When pressing the Learn/Shot button (the upper right) ZynSeq is shown. But I wanted to load a snapshot!? :open_mouth:

After explicitly removing all layers I tried to load one of the upper snapshots via menu - won’t load. UI-Log:

Oct 31 18:41:19 zynthian startx[506]: libjackpeak created input ports
Oct 31 18:42:00 zynthian startx[506]: WARNING:zynthian_autoconnect.cb_jack_xrun: Jack Audio XRUN!
Oct 31 18:42:00 zynthian startx[506]: WARNING:zynthian_autoconnect.cb_jack_xrun: Jack Audio XRUN!
Oct 31 18:42:18 zynthian startx[506]: ERROR:zynthian_gui_layer.load_snapshot: Invalid snapshot: 'JV/QMidiArp LFO'
Oct 31 18:42:18 zynthian startx[506]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Oct 31 18:42:18 zynthian startx[506]: File "/home/pi/zynthian-ui/zyngui/zynthian_gui_layer.py", line 1181, in load_snapshot
Oct 31 18:42:18 zynthian startx[506]: engine=self.zyngui.screens['engine'].start_engine(lss['engine_nick'])
Oct 31 18:42:18 zynthian startx[506]: File "/home/pi/zynthian-ui/zyngui/zynthian_gui_engine.py", line 168, in start_engine
Oct 31 18:42:18 zynthian startx[506]: info=self.engine_info[eng]
Oct 31 18:42:18 zynthian startx[506]: KeyError: 'JV/QMidiArp LFO' 

That’s exactly the same error I good two days ago when qmidiarp was not installed. qmidiarp is not listed in the available plugins and (I guess) when installing by hand it will work…

Is this reproducable by others?

Regards, Holger

What is the content of your data backup?

Regarding the “reboots”, most of times you could simply restart the affected services … :sweat_smile:

So, what should I say for this problem?

The problem is in front of the screen. I forgot to do

1. Search for new LV2 plugins and activate qmidi* (maybe this could be added to work automaticly after update?)

Sorry! My fault.

It’s the normal data backup from webconf.

Now it works.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

:face_with_monocle: penance is due!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Oh no… @C0d3man, you’re running out of time!!! :scream:

1 Like

Yes, sure… at the moment I only crawl on my knees through my house.

:scream: Noooooo! My studio in the basement is currently also locked down: the next days my new mixing console is arriving, so everything is disconected and distributed over the room.

Oh, sorry… wrong link… this is the one I bought…

Due to semi-lock-down in Germany I also have problems to record something at our band-rehearsal room.

(Enough or do I have to make up more excuses?)

Regards, Holger

1 Like

Is the new video for the OSC2MIDI bridge ok, to give me a little more time?

Excuses, Excuses . . … :smiley:

I suggest you just make soup with any of the ravens foolhardy enough to make it across the channel . . . :smiley: :bowl_with_spoon: :bowl_with_spoon:

Pandering to @wyleu’s requests is a rookie mistake.

3 Likes