My imitation of a korg 01/wr

Hi, Hello to everyone, Im interested to make a ultimate GM very realistic sound module, but is a try to tribute the korg 01wr, so, I have a lot of questions but I will share here some files that can help you in your development of more sound presets

First Question: How many Midi inputs I can add to my module?
Second Question: Can I add a Amplifier/mixer Jack output for live playing?
Third Question: How much time takes a preset of instrument to load? (for fast change in live perfomance)
Fourth Question: Can I load a samples in packege indeed of use it in sf2/sfz/gig or another compresed file
Fifth Question: Can I use my samples combined in one instrument ?

Dynopiano wav for reason

electric guitar soundfont

orchestral soundfont

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @Mike77154

aaaahhh! Nice retro synth! :slight_smile:

What do you mean exactly with module? If you have in mind to create a plugin which emulates the Korg01 and you want to use it like a GM synth, so you have the possibility to use samples/soundfonts. Sample-Sets are supported by fluidsynth and linuxsampler (both are called engines in Zynthian-speech). You can also create a LV2 plugin with a builder-script based on fluidsynth (see MOD-UI pedal for SFZ input - #11 by C0d3man) and use this plugin inside MOD-UI (also a engine - but very flexible by using several kinds of plugins). FluidPlug needs a SF2 soundfont. To create SF2 soundfonts you can use Polyphone.

Now for your MIDI inputs: On software side you can have as much MIDI-inputs as your engine supports. On hardware side Zynthian has one MIDI input and can use several more via USB-MIDI, which must be routed to the engines/plugins.

Hm - I don’t understand your question… Zynthian has a stereo output. Perhaps you can add more Audio-Outs via USB but you have to check this on your own. I think this will be not easy and you will get much more latency.

We (my band) are using several plugins via LV2 (Dexed, setBfreak, FluidPlug, …) on a Zynthian live. The Zynthian is directly connected to a mixer.

This depends on the engine, the preset (how many plugins) and the data itself: If you have a huge SF2 the loading of the fluidsynth takes only a few seconds (perhaps 1-3s?) and loading of a big SF2 takes about 30 seconds? If you use MOD-UI as engine and your pedalboard has 20 plugins this will also take some time to load - especially if you use inside the plugins bigger SF2 soundfonts… you will have to test this by yourself - sorry. Have in mind: normaly Zynthian loads all from SD card - this is not as fast as HDD/SSD! Fast live-switching (inside a song) is AFAIK not really working, but you can organize your sounds for being in “standby” and switching between them.

What do you mean with “package”? Currently the web interface has no way to upload sample files (WAVs, SF2, SFZ, GIG, Akai,…). This will come hopefully soon :wink:

As I wrote: sample players supported are Fluidsynth (as plugin and engine) and Linuxsampler (currently only as engine). Take a look at both (Linuxsampler / Fluidsynth) to get an idea of what they can do. Perhaps take a look a MOD-Duo. This one is nice for musicians. It uses only LV2 plugins but they are creating the MOD-UI as OpenSource. Most of the plugins used in Zynthian will also work on MOD-Duo.

Hm - what do you mean exactly? If you have a SF2 soundfont, you can load it into a plugin or engine. You can start several plugins/engines parallel but have to create a MIDI routing (can be done with plugins).

Hope this helps a little bit.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

My 2 cents:
If you use the original samples from the Korg 01/WR or equivalent (same size aprox.), you can have a lot of instruments loaded in the Zynthian’s memory. Zynthian has 1 GB memory, what is a lot more than Korg 01/WR. Also, SSD access is faster than 90’s ROMs chips.

I recommend you to take a look to LinuxSampler MIDI maps, althought it’s not currently implemented in Zynthian, you could make a customized Zynthian version that loads a LinuxSampler MIDI map in startup, so you will have all the mapped instruments ready to use.

Anyway, small SFZs loads really fast, so you could try with the normal setup (no MIDI maps) first.

Regarding compression, SFZ don’t use compression. It uses standard wav files for samples. The SFZ file itself is an XML description of how to use the wav files. AFAIK SF2 and GIG doesn’t compress sound. It pack the samples inside, with the meta-info about how to use the samples.

Regards!

I refer to traditional MIDI JACK but a lot of midi inputs and outputs, no usb, ok, the raspberry inputs but I want to add more inputs in traditional 5pin Din and two or three MIDI OUTPUTS

I asked @jofemodo almost the same the day before yesterday.
His answer:

Currently there is not super-easy way of adding a second “native” MIDI-IN port to Zynthian. These are some options that you could try:

The RBPi 3 has a secondary UART, but it’s not a full-compliant UART and i don’t know if it’s possible to configure the baud rate in the same way that the main UART. Perhaps you could do some research…

Design and build a new PCB, integrating some kind of “UART => I2C” chip (SC16IS750) and the optocoupler circuit for MIDI coupling.

Or my favorite: Buying this cheap module from AliExpress:

https://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/1x-Breakout-Board-for-SC16IS750-I2C-SPI-to-UART-IC/211860_1327351219.html 1

and using an old v1 2InOne circuit, soldering only the MID-IN part. I have a few 2InOne PCBs

Or if money is not the issue: