My own project

Hello there…
I have a zynthian on the make…
It will take time before it’s finished, ok…
I would like to make it a combo synth, not just an expander…

That’s, more or less, what it would probably, and approximately,look like… It’s still a wish, not sure if I’ll get to the term…
4 options for the shape of the main box, I will chose in terms of cost and of easily-made/not-easily-made…
The reason why I put those encoders in this position is, cause it looks nice, ok, but also because most of the editing will probably be done with the same hand, the left one, and I wouldn’t want this hand to hide the screen, totallly or partly…
Cheeks might be made with thick metal, aluminium probably, or thick wood…

So here are a few questions.

Question 1) Will it be possible to change the colours of the virtual knobs on the screen ?? One by one ?? Or all of them at once if it’s a comon parameter ?? If yes, how will I do ??
(When you answer, don’t hesitate to talk to me as an ignorant, cause in terms of Raspberry PI, and of programming, you can consider me as such… So, when you talk basic, that will be fine with me… I will not feel offended.)

Question 2) : I just bought an adafruit 2.8" touch-screen… What are the optimum dimensions for the hole in the front cover of my build ?? I wouldn’t want to be forced to hammer it into its place, nor the hear it break because dilatation would have squeezed it…But also, I wouldn’t want a 1 mm gap all around it, for fleas to find their way into the box…

Question 3) I own a very good Kimber-Allen 3 octave kboard, never mounted, with 2 contacts per key, that I bought when I was 20… (Don’t ask me when it was, please, you wouldn’t want to be rude, would you ??)
That’s the one I want to use, of course… Sure, I could still try to find a broken, or damaged, or cheap, master kboard, even a 4 octaves, and hack it to use this kboard which I feel sentimentaly linked to…
I suppose it would not be wise to ask the raspberry PI to be the kboard scanner, as it would take so many pins on the GPIO, and would also probably slow everything…So i won’t ask you if you know how to convert the PI into a MIDI kboard… It will be wiser to build a MIDI (in fact, thru USB) kboard and use one of the numerous USB inputs of the Zynthian…

So the question is : does anyone know how I could build a MIDI Kboard, 3 octaves, octave transpose buttons, with pitch bend, modulation wheel, and a 3rd control that I would love to plug my Breath Contorller ??
I"ve been searching trhoughout the web, but I only find people saying they will do, or they are doing, or they have done, but never clearly saying how I can do it too…

And I don’t want to spend millions into a Dopffler or whatever is its name…

Have a nice time, guys and gals, and enjoy the sun…
Thierry

6 Likes

Nice project! I can’t wait to see this zynthian working …:star_struck:

Currently the “virtual knob” color is a common parameter. You need to tweak the code to allow customizing this color for each controller. You should modify several source files in the “zynthian-ui/zyngui” directory. If you do so, please make your own github fork and create a specific branch for it, so we can easily integrate your changes into the master branch. If we can’t integrate your changes in the master, you wont be able to update easily, etc,

Adafruit has a full specification for this display, including detailed mechanical schematics.
I don’t recommend trying to “embed” the display in the panel. It wont work as you think. You have to fix the display using the 3 mounting holes and you have to cut the window (viewport) with the size and position from the mechanical specification. When you have the display in your hand you will understand :wink:

I would use a “kind of” arduino for doing this, but i would need more details about the internals of your keyboard. Can you get digital inputs or you have to measure analog signals?

If you have analog signals, you would need a lot of analog inputs (36?). A Teensy 3.6 have 23, so you need a bigger uC, or combine several uCs in a i2C/SPI bus.

Perhaps somebody here could give you a deeper advice. It’s not an easy task :wink:

Regards!

I guess I put too many questions in only one message… Should It be better if I divide this message in 3 ??
My keyboard, now, is not mounted yet… The contacts are still not souldered;; I have to build a PCB to make a 8X8 matrix with diods… In fact, knowing that it has 37 keys, a 8X5 matrix will be enough… So there will be 14 connections (8 + 5 + +5v… Maybe 15 with ground ??)

For the adafruit, I will search for the specs, ok. I suppose I’d better have it protected behind a shiled in some transparent plastic or plexy…

I’m not sure if I’m able to modify the colours of the virtual knobs by myself, as I know nothing about programming the PI… I will ask my son, he might find something… Sure, if he gets to some result, then I will share…

Thanx for your fast and kind answer…
Enjoy breathing…
Thierry

Really nice, clean design. i’d buy one, if such a thing were available. :slight_smile:

Smiles… Thanx a lot… But it’s not close to be ready, and will be a one unit series…

Yeah, I guessed that, but it looks very nice all the same.

For the 3rd question I suggest the MidiBox project. It has two option for a keyboard controller, the MidiBox KB and MidiBox NG. Well documented DIY project with tones of configurable options.
KB: http://ucapps.de/midibox_kb.html
NG: http://ucapps.de/midibox_ng.html

BR Norbim

1 Like

Thanx a lot @norbim… It seems to be what I need… And even maybe, more than what I need… Especially in terms of price, but… But I will check it anyway…
Whatever, thanx a lot for your help…

@norbim, @opus.quatre

Has anybody tried this midibox_kb project already?
I want to give my SL880 a new controller. And once I am in there, I might add a zynthian as well.

Hi Marcus,
sorry for my late answer. I saw you’ve found the right topic in MB forum :slight_smile: I used the MB NG for 3 projects, two of it were Midi controllers with buttons, LEDs and faders. One was using it as a keyboard interface for a custom made isomorphic keyboard. As a prototype, it still has some mechanical issues, but on the controller and software side it works perfectly. Hardware components, MB parts: 1 CORE_STM32F4, 1 DIO_MATRIX, 1 MIDI_IO. I’ve also embedded an old Yamaha_DB50XG daughterboard as a sound engine, controlled with the same MB NG core, all works fine.
Both the KB and NG was originally designed for Fatar keybeds, so even I’ve never used it for that way, they should perfectly fit for your SL880 as it is also a FATAR inside AFAIK.

:slight_smile: Yeah, I saw you as well.
But you haven’t tried to add a Zynthian internally as well?
Same power supply and internal midi connection?
Cool features like sharing the screen?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Zynthian ADSR support