New v4.1 build, right side encoders not working

The select encoder works as a button, but rotating doesn’t work. If I pick a synth, it shows the left 2 registering data, but the right two don’t change the values when rotated.

Linux zynthian 4.19.118-v7l+ #1311 SMP Mon Apr 27 14:26:42 BST 2020 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
root@zynthian:~# gpio i2cd
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: 20 – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- UU – -- UU – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --
root@zynthian:~#

If your encoder switches work then you can be sure the I2C bus works which is confirmed by your command line. The likely hood is then that you have a wiring issue. Do you get different behaviour if you swap other encoders and see the effect follow a particular encoder or does it stay on a specific 23017 connector pins? Can you check continuity with a multi meter?

swapping the encoders and wires the problem stays in the same place. left side works right side doesn’t.

Ok, swaping your encoders tells that they are working, so maybe there’s something wrong on the Zynsreen.
Just to be sure, I suppose you didn’t change anything in the hardware configuration ?

Yes do check that the configs in webconf are set correctly.

Hi @grawk !

It seems you have a faulty ZynScreen. The MCP23017 (the IC in the center) looks strange. Could you send a closer and well-defined photo from the IC?

Also, you could check that the JST connectors pins are OK. Some times the pins get bended when inserting the male.

Anyway, don’t worry, i will send you a new one :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

no need. the pins were bent so we straightened them out. it’s working now. thanks.

2 Likes

Excellent! Could we then move swiftly on to a :face_with_monocle:?

This could be caused by trying to insert the male connector reversed and pushing too strong. JST connectors normally plug smoothly when correctly oriented :wink:

Great to have another working zynthian over the world. BTW, you shouldn’t forget the :face_with_monocle:. Wyleu’s ravens are hungry …

Cheers!

i don’t know what that means

It means please upload a sound sample as a way to say “thank you for helping”. A complete explanation of what it means can be found here:
https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Talk:Zynthian_Wiki_Home

1 Like