OBXD custom Presets

Finally I found the time and installed the latest image.
Great job. I like especially the fast preset switch for pianoteq.

Now that I am about so set up the machines again, I like to know how you tackle the following.
Formerly I was changing obxd presets and saved the changes as zs3. But that is not very sustainable. For one the snapshots won’t survive the upgrades and secondly I found a different issue with zs3 enabled snapshots that exceeds a certain size. After I checked this with the latest image, I might bother you with this one as well.

Hence I decided to use the VNC UI of Obxd and save the preset.
Which is the first point. Shouldn’t we have this option in the UI?
But then I figured, that creating a snapshot and/or copying it to presets/lv2 is not enough. You would need to modify the cache json.

Which I didn’t change yet. Next I will try to scp the preset, zip it and upload it via webconf.
Is this the only way to do it?

Shouldn’t we have a webconf button for refreshing the cache-json?

Thanks,
Markus

2 Likes

Hi Markus!

You can save LV2 presets from the zynthian UI, and they will be available as user presets that can be renamed or deleted. For doing so, access chain options and click the engine you want (obxd in your case).
A submenu will open with the “save preset” option.

For renaming/deleting, simply bold click a user saved preset in the preset list.
You can also create, rename and delete user banks.

The best!!

P.S. please don’t hesitate to bother us with your comments.

2 Likes

Yes, I found it. I’ve never been that curious to click on the engine and see the submenu :slight_smile:

Ok, I might hijack my own post now.
Regarding zs3.
Following scenario:
One Masterkeyboard, that has an integrated zynthian. The keys are connected via USB and are sending Midi Channel 1
Additionally I have the Alesis V25 connected via USB which is programmed on Midi Channel 2.
Now I created a little Pianoteq layer with 3 subsnapshot. (try to repeat that word 10 times very fast)
The bug that I found is, that once I trigger the third program change, the Alesis is sending on Midi Channel 1.
Actually that is a nice feature, because I can’t change it without their app.
When I unplug and plug the V25 back in, it sends on channel 2 again.
I attach 2 logs. One without the snapshot with the correct midi messages.
And one with the snapshot.
I made the logs from a different zynthian, I was uploading the snapshot to.
So there must be something in the snapshot, that is adding the.

CONTROL_CHANGEs.
009-New Snapshot.zss (272.4 KB)
MidiLogWithoutSnapshot (352 Bytes)
MidiLogWithSnapshot.txt (973 Bytes)

If it helps. I might log of the midi messages during the creation of the snapshot.
But what I was mentioning in the first post is, that in my view, to many additional information is stored in the snapshot for a zs3.

I have to mention, that the V25 is sending the ProgramChanges on MidiChannel 1 and not 2 like the NOTE_ON etc

I created logs of the creation.
Midi and UI in debug mode
UIDebugLogZs3Creation.txt (233.4 KB)
MidiLogZs3Creation.txt (388 Bytes)

Between ZS3 saving, I pressed the C on the Master (Channel1) and the V25(Channedl2)
You can see that after the third one, the V25 is sending Channel1.
But I can’t see the CCs in the Midi Log

Hi Markus!

I deduce you are using the multitibral mode. ZS3 always store the full state for all chains. When in “Omni mode” (aka stage mode), it restores the state for the ZS3’s stored active chain and change the active chain accordingly. When in multitimbral mode, it restores the state for all chains. In multitimbral mode, you can modify this default behaviour and indicate the chains you want to restore for each ZS3. Simply bold-click on the ZS3 to access the ZS3 option menu.

Zynthian can’t change the MIDI channel your keyboard sends to, so i deduce you are looking the lMIDI log from the ZynMidiRouter output, after the internal black magic processing. You have to select the device from the top-left selector to get the unprocessed MIDI input.

Regards,

1 Like

Even if I select the V25 IN, it still shows midi channel 1 after triggering ProgramChange 3.
And when I unplug the V25 and plug it back in, so that it restarts, it sends channel 2 again. So there is more magic than expected. Yes, I think zynthian makes the V25 send a different channel.

Where do I find that ZS3 option menu? I only find the one that shows Update, Rename, Delete?! Where can I change the chains I want to save?

I made another test and saved the ZS3 when being in StageMode. V25 is still sending channel 1 when I hit programchange 3.

1 Like

But zynthian can’t change the midi channel your keyboard use. Most keyboards simply can’t be controlled remotely in such a way. If your v25 allow this, you should investigate how. Anyway, zynthian would need to send some midi to your keyboard (SysEx, probably, because changing the midi channel of a device remotely is not a standard midi operation) and this is only possible if you checked the keyboard port as a midi output from webconf. Also, currently zynthian can’t send SysEx.

Regards

1 Like

Perhaps your v25 accepts program change messages for changing MIDI channel. In such a case, you should try disabling “MIDI thru” from admin, and also unchecking the v25 port from the midi output column, from webconf’s midi ports popup.

Cheers

1 Like

Ok. I file this one to the list of undocumented features of the V25:
If you press button 3 and 4, the channel of the keypad is changed up and down.
I can use it to my benefit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems very convenient when you are aware of it :wink:

1 Like