OBXD or OB-XD?

Hi, i have a doubt cause i’ve been looking but couln’t find much.

What software is running by default on zynthian? i thought it was ob-xd but when i looked into the webconfig it redirects here: https://obxd.wordpress.com

Wich is a page for obxd, wich seems to be different from OB-XD from discosp

Am i missing something?

I think it’s the same, disco dsp continue the project, but it’s the same code source, the skin is just different

I am confused by this as well. The Zynthian OB-Xd page (OBX-D - Zynthian: Open Synth Platform) says “developed by 2DaT, Layzer and Breeze (at KVR)”, and links to a github page (GitHub - 2DaT/Obxd) which hasn’t been updated in 8 years, while at the same time including a Youtube video specifically mentioning “discodsp OB-Xd”.

Looking at DiscoDSP’s OB-Xd page (discoDSP - OB-Xd - OBERHEIM INSPIRED VIRTUAL ANALOG SYNTHESIZER - AAX / VST / VST / AU / IOS), it says " Thanks to 2Dat for the original OB-Xd and Soshi Studio for giving the rights to continue this wonderful product. Also thanks to all KVR artists for making the amazing skins!. Source code is available under GPL license at GitHub", linking to GitHub - reales/OB-Xd: Virtual Analog Oberheim based synthesizer which has fairly recent updates (3 months ago).

One thing I’ve noticed is that the DiscoDSP front panel as depicted on their page seems to include a triangle wave option when both saw and square/pulse waves are selected. At first I thought this didn’t seem to be the way OB-Xd in Zynthian works, but as it turns out, the triangle wave is selected when both oscillator waves are turned off, which makes sense, since when both are turned on you would want a mixture of both waves, as the original OB-Xa works.

As far as I can make out, the OB-Xd included in Zynthian is a package built from GitHub - DISTRHO/DISTRHO-Ports: Linux audio plugins and LV2 ports .

Perhaps someone who knows how all this fits together can fill in the blanks…

It’s the same Oberheim OBX synth software - LinuxMusicians

The main differences are the front end, which you don’t usually see, and discodsp offer vst versions, which we don’t use.

1 Like