Hi Zynthianers!
I’m trying to set up an old
(but not too old) Zynthian
(which we all love) version 4.6.
Is the latest OS too heavy to run
on an older Raspberry Pi 4?
thanks in advance for your reply
I see many people here using the most recent os with PI4. It’s more that you should avoid certain engines, which may be disabled anyway. (Vaporizer, TuS plugins, etc. ?)
If your PI has very small memory you may also not want to load soundfonts exceeding it.
Yes, I’m one of those people running Vangelis on a Zynthian V5 with a Raspberry Pi 4 and Vangelis itself runs fine. And most of the engines run fine also, It’s just particular engines, or too many engines and effects at the same time will get Xruns-clicks-noises. And this will happen with either a Pi4 or 5, it just happens sooner with a 4.
Exactly. And it would happen with an older OS as well.
Any suggestion?
Buy a new Raspberry Pi (v5)?
or someone have an old zintianos last stable?
No, the opposite. Just use the newest OS. It will work fine. If you’re unhappy with it because you would want to use 16 engine pack tracks you can still buy the now ridiculously expensive Pi5.
Vangelis runs fine on RPi4. I have a V4 & V5 with RPi4 which I use to develop, test and use. I also test on a V3 with RPi3 which has done limitations but also works fine.