Pd not working [solved]

Or it scares off especially new members to say / share anything.

Depends presumably on the individual. I would counter that purely technical discussions can also be an intimidating environment. Many people fear to post because they expose themselves to possible technical based ridicule. In a more conventional chat based forum when these discussions emerge.one has the possibly to block the poster. I don’t even know if that is possible.but I would have no objection to someone blocking me if they felt it was warented. In truth I have no technical mechanism to prevent you doing that anyway if its possible.
I don’t use pd, I have loaded up the one or two environments that are available. I can pose specific technical requests to sate my interest but I find such get answered simply with text. at least my method produces audio from a device that is surely heavily biased towards audio? Getting people to submit issues has come after not to much response initially, within the community and that was something else that was encouraged by the mad pirate…
It’s the nature of open source. I hope I have contributed something of value. Certainly we all benefit from others contributions and if it takes the persona of a lunatic clown to free up the disscusion and requesting someone who is helped to just play something then so be it. I am sure I put the time in. I find it tiring to reply to the same issues with constant reference to the same resolution threads. So I amuse myself and try to personalise the encounter. I suppose its just content and churn really. So perhaps my responsive gives some indication of what I’ve been attempting to do but as with most reveals it can undermine whatever artifice the audience might have accepted to get what we want from people… Sound samples made by zynthians or their clones.

3 Likes

Most of us find this “pedantic insistence” very funny and it’s a way of joking and relaxing after an issue has been solved. Also, it’s a very possitive feeback and an almost effort-less task. We, the community, can ear how other members are using zynthian, what engines and presets are most loved. Also important, “readers” investigating about zynthian can ear fresh sound samples and perhaps get convinced of building a zynthian box.
We made an effort to develop the audio-recorder function as a tool for the zynthian user, but also as a tool for growing the zynthian community. Mr. @wyleu understood perfectly my thoughts and has been promoting this culture of “it’s kind to pay support with audio samples”. I think it’s really kind and effort-less although, of course, it’s not mandatory in any way.

Anyway, this is an open community, and everybody contribute in the way he wants. And there is a bunch of ways to do it: you can ask questions, report issues, answer questions, solve issues, request new features, implement new features, ask for sound samples, contribute with sound samples … :wink:

Kind Regards,

2 Likes

Of course I don’t want wyleu to stop his efforts.
I think that I know him and his humor quite well by now.
But the next step would be collecting the good sound samples somewhere like SoundCloud et.al.
And even better would be a HowTo YouTube video channel.

Of course, all those would be fantastic, but it takes effort and time to organize and promote any of these initiatives. FYI, i’m working in the second one and i hope to start releasing contents very soon :wink:

Anyway, i think that Mr @wyleu’s initiative is very funny and useful for the community, so i hope to see many @zynthianers contributing little soundsamples in the forum :wink:

Kind Regards,

Hi,

Of course, @Wyleu, please continue to ask for samples !
I have not the time to do it right now but I think I’ll see the face with monocle :face_with_monocle: in my dream until It’s done.

1 Like

After a restless night (maybe I should have used generative relaxing):

1 Like

Never tought of @wyleu’s “pedantinc insistence” as the specialized 21st century version of the postcardware license mode :wink:

Anyway… @wyleu… DON’T STOP :wink:

1 Like

That is weird. The sound field seems to extend beyond the width of my speakers making it sound like there is dripping water in outside my monitors! Cool!

No problems. I’ve simmered down. Blame the heat, Brexit or just plain me, @tele_player hopefully I’ve explained some of the motivations. there was a little method in the madness!

Hi all,
I quickly tested pd today. Generative relaxing but the “synths” to choose dont react to any midi input. Am I doing somthing wrong or is it a bug? I updated it a few days ago.

I just tried them on my fake zynthian (pi 3b, cheap 3.5" touchscreen, no encoders, USB sound and USB MIDI, updated daily)

48presets,threeoscl, twoops1poly worked, seventones didn’t.

2 Likes

Hi @tele_player!

“seventones” patch is not parametrized yet. You have to open the native pd GUI by login into your zynthian with SSH with the “-Y” flag (linux & mac, windows is a little bit more tricky):

ssh -Y root@zynthian.local

and then load the seventones preset :wink:

Regards,

If somebody is interested in parametrize this or other patches for puredata, take a look to this:

New Engine: Pure Data

or also in the wiki:

Pure Data - ZynthianWiki

Kind Regards!

Realized it’s working for me after a 2nd try, probably some weird midi issue. Am gonna do some work in pd the next weeks, so I’ll get back at the other thread for questions.

1 Like

Please, do it … :wink: