Persons Studio 24c

Hi, I’m clearly a bit late to the party having only just tripped over the whole Zynthian project but got super excited very quickly once I learned what it’s all about.

Before ordering the V5 kit I wanted to learn more about the project and have now completed an install on a bare Pi4 8gb which is working great.

I would like to use my existing Persons Studio 24c interface but this is where I came unstuck.
The Pi did partially recognise the interface and midi actually worked but unfortunately the audio did not.

I’m very much a linux noob so digging into coding will be a considerable challenge.
I guess my question to the community it this, do you think this could work, has anyone used this model interface successfully?

1 Like

Welcome. The audio connection for zynthian is configured in the webconf audio section but you will need to select custom in the kit dialog first…

Zynthian primary function is configuring the Jack Audio Server and to do that it has to configure the Jackd Options for your audio device in the dialog above.

To find out quite what you need in the section requires a little command line process to discover quite what your device declares itself to be…

So you need to open a terminal which is handily provided in the INterface sections…

and select terminal…

in here type aplay -l which will declare the name of the deivce ( A Behringer !820 in my case)

Now as you can see this is the text string that is put into the audio config in the -d hw: section

This should get you going but, obviously, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to post on here…

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome Wyleu.

You are an absolute star, thank you so much, it worked straight away.
Just need to get my head around the user interface now, I have a great deal to learn.
Got my first sounds loaded and working.
Next thing to learn is how to create layers and splits. At the moment I only seem to be able to play one sound.

2 Likes

Hi @TechMedia! A warm welcome. Please check the user guides on the wiki which give good guidance on navigating and using the device.

You describe a behaviour that often catches new users out. By default Zynthian is configured in Omni (stage) mode where all MIDI input drives the currently selected chain. You can change that to multi-timbral in the admin menu which will direct MIDI input to different chains based on the MIDI channel.

To layer sounds you can create multiple chains and then “clone” the MIDI between them so that one MIDI message will drive multiple chains.

To split the keyboard you can use the context menu to select the transpose and split configuration.

I hope this helps you to get to a higher state of enjoyment quickly.

1 Like

Thanks again for another warm welcome.

Starting to get my head around the navigation now, it’s working really well. Concentrating on the OBxd at the mo being as I know how to operate a real one.

I’ll have a try at layers and splits next.

So glad Wyleu helped me out with the interface config, sound was somewhat disappointing on the built in headphone jack.
I’m sure this will be much easier to navigate once I’ve bought the proper kit rather than trying to us a 24" screen and mouse.

1 Like

The headphone output on a non v5 machine is, sadly, the original Pi audio out, so its quality is limited, worse yet it chews up a bit of cpu for the rate conversion required to run it so if you can derive a headphone output from the main outputs via external kit you will find it a much more audio rich experience, and gives you more cpu if you disable it, which you can do in audio webconf…

1 Like

Yes exactly what I did following your great advice, now my Studio 24c interface is working properly I disabled the Pi audio entirely and connected up to the interface directly.
Sound quality is great now either with the headphones connected to the Studio 24c or PA.

Thanks to Riban’s help I’ve got some layered sounds going which are sounding great too.
Learning the GUI is the main challenge for me, it’s a very steep learning curve having used MainStage on an iMac for years.
It kinda does the same thing but in a very very different way.

1 Like

We have a kind of reward structure for help provided. It’s in no way obligatory, because how would we enforce it?, but it’s really nice if people provide an audio sample in return…

It’s explained here…

1 Like

Yes of course I will upload once I get to grips with the system, I expect this will be a little while.

It would be far too embarrassing to upload any of the odd noises I’ve created so far as this only amounts to a childish 4 on the floor version of Sweet Dreams.

I too tried the rook soup but preferred the squirrel stroganoff

3 Likes

No sweat it’s actually the first time some people actually record something and that in itself is interesting, the content isn’t really important… As proof, You’ve not listened to my far too frequent bell samples have you…?

1 Like

No, no! Not the BELLS!!! :no_bell:

3 Likes

… But when will we hear from @wyleu, @riban, @jofemodo and many others?? :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

… But not only bell sounds (beautiful but… ), a bit of technical exhibition… is anyone curious like me? :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately for me (but fortunately for you), each time I try to compose something I find another bug so spend the rest of my time fixing it. If only I could just ignored them…

5 Likes

Voting is open to give @riban a week off, without solving bugs to feel his hands on the guitar fretboard and not on the computer… :guitar: :guitar: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

We don’t allow time off, for developers, for good behaviour cos basically, there isn’t any…

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
All excuses!!! We demand a musical test … how can we buy a new V5 if the creators do not demonstrate the capabilities of this musical instrument… :wink: :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

:face_with_monocle: I redo the blacklist:
@wyleu
@riban
@jofemodo
@pau (Yes, you too :upside_down_face:)
… and then I think about it

This looks like a popular revolt… but nobody follows me??? :wink: :wink:

P.S.
Two suspects are trying to buy me with their likes… watch out!!! :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I only have time for composing “musical amusements”. If you search in the forum, you will find some of them. Regarding serious composition, i leave this for retirement. My soul is not mature enough yet :grin:

3 Likes

Poor me :rofl:

I’m not a musician, I’m a whole-life open software advocate that enjoys all the challenges and, particularilly, using zynthian in live performances in hands of virtuous pianists :slight_smile: Sky is the limit!!

1 Like

My advice as a 61 year old man? If I can do it… Don’t wait till you’re old… I very much regret not using my brain for Music when I was young…
Grandpa’s advice finished!

2 Likes