Pi4!

OK! I also prefer to use Free Software … Pianoteq is the “exception” because the “playing experience” is a huge pleasure. I really admire Moddart’s work, although they use a proppietary license :grin:
I love to feel the sympathetic resonance when playing … if i close my eyes it’s almost like playing the real thing.

Remember that SD-card read speed is also very important when using LinuxSampler :wink:
(I know you remember)

Regards,

1 Like

Maybe when I get a gig where there isn’t a piano I will buy Pianoteq :slight_smile:

Yeah I know. When your fingers really think you are playing something other than your keyboard.

2 Likes

What speed do you recommend? Is UHS1 (Class 10) okay?

My RPi4 has also just arrived today but it is a present from the family so I must wait until 25th… I may just check it works though - to save disappointment :wink:

1 Like

I found this:

http://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards

:wink:

Someone wanting to try this trick?

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2016/how-overclock-microsd-card-reader-on-raspberry-pi-3

It would be nice to test with Salamander Grand Piano on RBPi3 and see if it makes a difference.

It’s on.

2 Likes

Neatest one so far :smiley:

1 Like

I downloaded the latest buster build and it doesnt seem to work.

I just get blinking error screen.

Should I use Aruk?

Make sure you have the right encoders display and sound card selected…

The quickest way to find out what’s going on is log in via ssh (Putty) and kill off the gui (systemctl stop zynthian) then
cd /zynthian/zynthian-ui

and start the gui manually
python zynthian_gui.py

That should reveal where the display code is having problems.

No. You must use Buster.
Try to reconfigure the hardware. The latest Buster is pre-configured for kit “V3 PRO”, and you probably have a “V3”.

Regards,

Nice!

OK.Buster RC1 works on Pi4 - confirmed. I am at the moment working on a lasercut case for Pi4 with PSU (4 amps 5V PSU at the moment costs 1.68 euros on ali), audioinjector zero, Zynscreen and 3-in-one, active cooling and most of the panels held in place by a small magnet. When finished (hopefully by the New Year - if I have enough time) I will contribute it to the community.
IMHO, Pi4 definitely needs a cooling, and there are several offerings on ali and amazon, active and passive. 70 degrees for the processor is a recipe for a disaster (it can give you up in a middle of a live performance - or worse).

2 Likes

Success!

2 Likes

Have you applied all the firmware updates which improve power management a lot? I am likely to add a big heatsink to mine because I want it to be stable under all conditions and may add a fan that hopefully only runs under extreme conditions such as a hot gig (where fan noise is unlikely to be an issue).

No, have not applied all patches, just made sure everything works as it should. Regarding a fan - on a cooler from amazon it is nearly silent, quieter than a whisper, so I don’t think you will hear it at the live gig. There are also passive heatsinks for the Pi4, they cover all the top. But you cannot put Hifiberry on GPIO socket and will have to deal with cabling and positioning. Plus you have to think how the air flows through the case - extra heat has to go somewhere. Due to that I will place a 80mm silent fan and ventilation holes in my case.

1 Like

It works.

Mandatory sound demo. Just a cake layer of effects on a a Salamander and some random chords to check for x-runs.

4 Likes

A little off-topic, but I’ve been experimenting with a 20mm micro fan in my Pi3 + Hifiberry zynth, and the analog audio out seemed to pick up noise from the fan running (fan off the same +5V as the Pi, with extra caps to no avail). Luckily it turned out I didn’t need the fan, but I’d be curious to hear other experiences.

What about a HAT for that?

I haven’t tried it, but it looks like it might work. Of course, you’ll need to design a custom case for that…