Pi4!

I’m surprised you get 70C on normal running. My pi4 zynth normally tops out at 60C. I don’t have any cooling, active or passive. https://io.adafruit.com/Baggypants/feeds/cpu-temp

2 Likes

I guess without the firmware fixes and possible case constraints or high ambient temperature then things can get hot. Benchmarks for various firmwares showed the original firmware hitting 70C very quickly. If you are pushing the Pi to its limits it will get hot. I may mount a full size heatsink, exposed to the outside of my case with fins running vertically, like a heatsink on a power amp.

Before I could unbox my RPi4 I had to do the washing up and this potato masher reminded me of something…

7 Likes

Right we up the requirement, sound sample AND branding iron !!

3 Likes

Zynthian-shaped heat sink! Now there’s an idea… :thinking:

I have been playing around with Pianoteq and RP4 and it is awesome, no clicks no nothing.

I think I’ll have to put 129 euro into this.

Just have to decide on which Steinway I want…

I have just mod’d my V2 kit case to fit Pi 4 4 Gig and dowloaded latest image from WIKI as well as latest nightly build and neither is working. Can I fix from web interface on another computer on my network if I figure out IP address? Thanks! Very much looking forward to getting this to work!

I downloaded the buster release candidate and it worked.

2 Likes

Yes that’s the way forward.
If it’s a fresh install it should be found at zynthian.local. The IP Address is displayed in several places but at the boot stage not all of these are visible so if you can connect via an Ethernet cable ( wifi is not on by default) and can access your router then it might have an admin function that allows you to see the machines that are loggedd onto the router and figure out which is the zynth…

The other approach is start at 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.0.2 and increase the 2 until you see something.

Pretty much very operating system has ping so that will help you quickly find out what is and is not connected. . .

I use this and it is practically silent - https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07JGNF5F8/ref=pe_3310721_189395781_TE_SCE_dp_1

2 Likes

Yay! I was about to order one of those. It can’t really be mounted in my preferred orientation because the fins would be horizontal and hence inefficient. The fan would help but I want to use passive cooling for normal conditions with the fan only kicking in under extreme environment. This does look like the best option at the moment so I think I will add it to Santa’s list.

Does it affect wifi if you use it?

1 Like

WiFi works normally, no problem.

3 Likes

I just used the little sticky radiators on all three chips, doesn’t get hot at all.

2 Likes

The real problem is getting the heat out of the case. What about this? Is your case a custom one or a modified v2/v3 case?

Is your as hot?? Wow… Mine (the v.3 case) is stone cold… Maybe a tiny warm sometimes.

I have the v2 case, I really don’t notice any heat.

So, there was enough space between the RPi4 and the HiFiBerry to mount the adhesive heatsinks between them?

I’m on the verge of ordering a RPi4 but I want to plan for the heat issue.

There is roughly a half inch of space. Have no heat issues at all.

Great, thanks for the info!

My RPi4 runs at 55C without a heatsink. Adding this heatsink with fan results in temperature of 34C. It is not yet in an enclosure though. I intend to position the unit so the heatsink and fan vent directly out of the enclosure with a grid to protect the fan (and fingers).

1 Like