Pianoteq 7

Hello you all…
This weekend, Modartt is offering 30% off on all Pianoteq instruments for black friday…
Maybe you already knew, sure you do now…
Have a nice weekend…
Thierry

3 Likes

I want to buy one…BUT I CAN’T DECIDE…
Steinway B or Grotrian?

I own Steinway D and Bechstein already.

1 Like

Petrof!

1 Like

Sooo difficult to choose. They are all different, yet good. I own the Bechstein, liked most of them at some point in time. Perhaps I will buy the Steingraeber this time. I love the electric pianos and Hohner pack very much as well.

Yes, I can’t decide between Steingraeber and Blüthner right now.
I own the electric pianos already…of course…

Petrof…

Yes, maybe it’s second, behing Steingraeber. I don’t like Petrofs’ E4.
Blüthner is weak at G2 and A2…too loud.
I think, I go with Steingraeber…But ask me in an hour again…

1 Like

Update required :smile:.

I have these choices yet to make…

Note that discounts do not stack, e.g. the November discount cannot be taken with an academic discount.

I wonder, why I didn’t get a :face_with_monocle: yet:
Ant.Petrof:

Steingraeber:

I like Ant.Petrof better with my JBL Headphones on the Latop, but Steingraeber with Teufel directly from Zynthian

1 Like

One criticism I have of all the pianos is that they decay too quickly. (I am not talking about reverberation.) It might be the age and disrepair of my Obermeier upright but when I release a note (or stamp the floor nearby) there is a long (many seconds) ringing of lots of the strings. It really makes it stands apart from any digital pianos. I have tried increasing the soundboard impedance in Pianoteq but can only get to a coke of seconds of ringing. Maybe there is somewhere it adjust the dampers to be less effective…

[Edit] Found it. Under ACTION there is an option to adjust Damping duration.

Steingraeber was by far, my favorite, before Bluethner and Grotrian… and there was no doubt I would buy this one… and then Modartt released Ant.Petrof and I was immediately seduced and convinced… so I bought it instead…
Recently, this summer, I had a doubt and tried Steingraeber again, and my doubts vanished rather rapidly…

@riban board impedance has some effect on note duration… Sympathetic resonance has too, but only when sustain pedal is pressed…
Unexpectingly, in some cases, Unison Detune may have an effect on initial decay, on some medium-high notes… I had the case of D6 which initial decay was very short, much shorter than her neighbours, and I had to raise Unison Detune to solve the problem…

If you have Pianoteq standard or pro, you have a screen/menu where you can set the pitch and the volume of each note independantly, or by groups…

Ka-Ching!

So, after buying Ant.Petrof, I found the next issue.
Following the instructions and starting the Pianoteq UI to go to About etc. and reactivating the licence, won’t work.
It seems to write the changes into a different property file.
That’s why I added a Reactivate button next to the licence string.
Press this and the Update presets and your new instrument should be in the list of licenced instruments, when you start a new PT layer.

2 Likes

I’ve installed Pianoteq Version 7 and it’s showing in the Layers/Engine list. Also connecting to the native UI via XQuartz works. But in the zynthian UI after selecting the MIDI channel, I cannot find the new Pianoteq in 7 instruments like Steinway D (New York). Is anyone facing similar issues?

Hi @schnitzelhannes! Welcome to the wonderful world of Zynthian.

Did you follow @mheidt’s instructions above to configure your pianoteq?

@mheidt @jofemodo is there a (simple) documented way to install PT7 on Zynthian? Mine is updated but still runs PT6.

I had followed the “Pianoteq” instructions from the wiki

• installed the .7z via webconf, followed by zynthian reboot
  • activated my license via webconf
    If I remember correctly I deleted all layers first, restarted. Pianoteq 7 now appears when creating a new layer (not sure if it matters, in my case it’s Pianoteq STANDARD). Also if I ssh -Y through XQuartz I do get the native UI displayed on my mac as expected –
    Problem remains: the instruments included in Pianoteq 7 (for example Steinway D New York) do not appear in the Zynthian UI.

Did you press the, “Reactivate button” in webconf? (I don’t see that button - maybe because I haven’t yet installed my licensed version.)

I followed the instructions in webconf to update to PT7.0.5 Stage Trial, rebooted then pressed the button, “Update Presets” on the webconf page http://zynthian.local/sw-pianoteq. I can now see the PT7 presets. Later today I should have chosen my instrument packs and will install the licensed version.

I tried it a few weeks ago with no success, but now it was simple after a clean installation + update of Zynthian. Pianoteq 7 works and the purchased instruments all seem to work fine.

This is great, because Pianoteq was my main reason to invest in Zynthian. Everything else is a (great, great) bonus for me. :smiley:

One issue I am having is that the demo instruments get de-activated after a few seconds. Then I am back with my purchased Bechstein piano. Not a big deal, since I only used demo instruments 1% of the time. Nevertheless, I could play them when I used PT 6.

I suggest reporting a bug on GitHub. It is advantageous to be able to preview instruments to be able to devine on future purchases. They should be below the licenced instruments and possibly event toggled, e.g. webconf option to hide demo instruments.