Pianoteq UI improvements (First contribution)

Hi everyone. First contribution to this great project from me.
This is the first time I’ve coded in Python so apologies in advance!

What’s new:

Why?

• <default> presets not showing where preset has no name
  • The bank list doesn’t reflect the currently available instruments
  • Demo and licensed instruments mixed together in the Pianoteq bank list

How?

• Fix the <default> presets by reworking the checking if statement
  • Add missing instruments from the free KIViR.ptq pack
  • Look for licensed instruments mentioned in the <VALUE name="subl" val=""/> line of the config XML
  • Reorder the banks to licensed, then free, then demo
  • Add a spacer item to the bank list to separate full instruments from demo instruments

To do:

• I don’t know what is used in the <VALUE name="subl" val=""/> line of the config XML for every instrument that can be purchased. I’ve only added them for the ones I can confirm.
  • First time coding in Python before so refactoring might be necessary

Note: You will have to delete your preset cache to see the changes
rm /zynthian/zynthian-my-data/pianoteq6/presets_cache.json

Tested with Pianoteq v6.3.0 STAGE

3 Likes

I bought Stage with the Electric keyboard pack and also the Grotrian so my config file has:
<VALUE name="subl" val="Grotrian:A;Electric:A;Clavinet:A"/>

These are the only ones I’ve put in the code so far.

Thank you, this would be nice to have.

I haven’t looked but are you looking at whether instruments are “hidden” or not (you can hide things in the instrument via the pianonteq ui)? That would be nice as I don’t like to have the list of demo instruments cluttering things up (though maybe ordering would be good enough).

1 Like

Hi @Fitz

many thanks for the fixes and extensions of the pianoteq engine! Do you know if the push request is already merged?

I took a look at my licensed models. I have also the “Electric”. And I bought the Steinway D4. My line look like this:

<VALUE name="subl" val="D4:A;Electric:A;Clavinet:A"/>

Regards, Holger

1 Like

Thanks, this is useful. From your D4:A it looks like the codes are based on the .ptq filenames. I’ve inspected the HTML on the Pianoteq online shop :grinning: and have added all the remaining instrument codes from that.

I’ve also added the new Ant. Petrof instrument from v6.3.0, with some code to check the installed version number https://www.pianoteq.com/antpetrof

The pull request is still waiting for review. Would be good to test it on a fresh install with Pianoteq v6.0.0 demo before it is committed. I’ll do this soon if no-one else has.

1 Like

PS. I have just emailed Mordatt telling them I bought their software and would like to help get Pianoteq controls in the Zynthian UI. I guess these controls are not mapped via midi and not available through the LV2? If I hear back I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

thx @Fitz. Every modartt customer should mail or be active in their forum, so that they see, how many customers the Zynthian platform is generating. We haven’t had much success when we started the integration.
An API to enter the licence would be nice.

3 Likes

Hi @Fitz!

Nice work! Congraulations and thanks a lot for your contribution!
Your changes are tested and merged with master now.

@mheidt, you are right … It’s time to work a little bit more on the Pianoteq engine and get this little help we need from Moddart guys … :wink:

Regards,

Hello @Fitz, @C0d3man, @mheidt and @jofemodo,

I have purchased the Steingraeber, Grotrian and the new Bechstein DG that currently is on sale through January 31st.
Pianoteq 6.4 works out of the box, but I’d like to choose the new Bechstein DG from the Zynthian UI.
Can I just rm /zynthian/zynthian-my-data/pianoteq6/presets_cache.json as shown here in the first post?

Thank you and God bless, Marius

Guess, you are the first who can try :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up!
By the way, after renaming it I started Pianoteq 6.4 and the presets_cache.json file was generated like before.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

Renaming what exactly?

Hello, sorry for the little ot, I’m about to purchase a PT license and I would like to test the new Bechstein before pulling the trigger but I’m a bit confused about the correct way to update Pianoteq demo to v6.4 and to have all the instruments available in the Zynth UI…
Thanks!

andrea

Last time with 6.3 we had to do some adjustments.
I guess, that this is necessary with 6.4 as well.
It’s just a matter of time.

So from the Pianoteq Interface these are the Bechstein DG presets:

I just installed my pianoteq_stage_linux_v640.7z from the webconf.

There isn’t a preset list or an entry for it in the Zynthian UI cache (presets_cache.json file mentioned above) I renamed.
I hoped that the new instrument and the presets would show up in a zynthian UI list magically but I got fooled by my expectations.
As @mheidt pointed out, for 6.4 some adjustments are needed.
Hope that helps deciding for the newest instrument from Pianoteq.

The Bechstein works out of the box nearly in demo mode, because after I chose a preset and cut the LAN cable, the Bechstein played without UI.
I was recording the output via my firewire interface for about 16 minutes but audio stopped playing nearly after 20 minutes. I thought it had to do with Pianoteq recognising a demo instrument and muting it after this time. I’ll have to make another test when I keep the ssh connection open and see the pianoteq UI
I’ll keep you posted about this “suddenly silent after 20 minutes” issue.

Hello fellow zynthian users,

sometimes I hate to reply myself, but this time I puTTy’d into my zynthian and kept the Pianoteq native UI open on my PC. I recorded another 25 minutes maybe with one or two audible xruns with reaper but I consider the 6.4 engine stable (for me at last).
The new Bechstein DG Grand Piano sounds wonderful, too.

I’ve got an average performance index of 16. I am not the exaggerated classic player, so to speak.
“Your mileage may vary…”

1 Like

@mj_prod
Hi Marius,

I updated zynthian-ui, so that after a preset regeneration, the new Bechstein should show up.

Let me know, if it works. I could test the demo version only and couldn’t test the regeneration into the non-demo section.

Cheers,
Markus

@mheidt
Hi Markus,

PTQ on zynthian already contains a C. Bechstein [1899], it is in the Kremsegg Collection Vol.2, so the new Bechstein DG presets are now found in this last folder in the Zynthian UI with the DEMO C.Bechstein1899 pianoforte…

I have no Steinway B/D license, but the new C. Bechstein DG presets might get sorted behind them as the PTQ UI Instruments section suggests (to me).

It might be obvious they are sorted after the Steinway Grand pianos…

Hope that helps and thank you for sorting this issue.
By the way I got a message Pianoteq 6.4.1 is available…

Have rest if available.

So far it’s ok, if it shows up at all.
We are going to have a new API for this from Modartt.
With the help of that API we are going to refactor it and you hopefully have the same order like within Pianoteq.