Problem with restoring a data- and system-backup

Hi @ll,

there seems to be a problem with restoring a backup. I installed the last “green” image (2020-04-24-zynthianos-buster-lite-1.0.0.img). I installed my Pianoteq binary (6.7.0) and the License and the latest
KIViR.ptq and bells.ptq. I rebootet and updated the presets. Now I restored my data-backup, which I made right before installing the new image. Reboot. Trying to load my simple snapshot of the “CP-80 soundboarded” does not work:

Apr 26 19:04:22 zynthian startx[464]: File "/home/pi/zynthian-ui/zyngui/zynthian_gui_layer.py", line 836, in load_snapshot
Apr 26 19:04:22 zynthian startx[464]: self.layers[i].restore_snapshot_1(lss)
Apr 26 19:04:22 zynthian startx[464]: IndexError: list index out of range
Apr 26 19:04:29 zynthian startx[464]: ERROR:zynthian_autoconnect: Jack Audio XRUN!
Apr 26 19:04:30 zynthian startx[464]: ERROR:zynthian_autoconnect: Jack Audio XRUN!
Apr 26 19:04:31 zynthian startx[464]: ERROR:zynthian_gui_layer: Invalid snapshot: list index out of range
Apr 26 19:04:31 zynthian startx[464]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Apr 26 19:04:31 zynthian startx[464]: File "/home/pi/zynthian-ui/zyngui/zynthian_gui_layer.py", line 836, in load_snapshot
Apr 26 19:04:31 zynthian startx[464]: self.layers[i].restore_snapshot_1(lss)
Apr 26 19:04:31 zynthian startx[464]: IndexError: list index out of range 

That’s strange because the snapshot were working before…

Any ideas?

Regards, Holger

003-CP-80-Soundboarded.zss (15.5 KB)
000-Pianos.zip (5.3 KB)

Just bumping here… noone any idea? There must be a bug in storing or reordering presets in the WebUI, because that was the last thing I have done before this error happens.

That’s really, bad because if I cannot be sure that the preset organization works, I cannot take the Zynthian live on stage.

How can you check the consistency of the snapshots?

Regards, Holger

Do you do both system & data backup…?

For consistency a short sequence is going to be the quickest way to prove an install. But that does mean rendering it to live outputs.

Yes, but I only restored data-backup because I had trouble when restoring a system backup with my PT license.

I’ve not really used either as I tend to rebuild from scratch. Does anything get loaded at all in the layers, are you starting from a clean zynth? Simple daft questions I know but it does at least set some context.

Clean boot. Trying to load a snaposhot (PT) and while loading (after a few seconds) the screen freezes. I can go “back” and try again: same problem. Some of the snapshots are working. IMHO this is a problem of the consistency of the snapshots itself…

BTW: Uploaded the system backup and after that the data-backup. Reboot. Now NOTHING works anymore. Black screen.

Has anyone tried the restore functions or am I the first?

Regards, Holger

I have tried to install my system-backup on a fresh 2020-04-23-zynthianos-buster-lite-1.0.0.img:
No - it does nothing of what I would have expected:

• Hardware wasn’t restored (I have a v1 setup)
  • Pianoteq not installed (and licensed)

Has anyone tried to use restoring?

Regards, Holger

I used it.
Check the browser console log…F12…

You don’t try to restore old snapshots that are not compatible anymore?

Old threat but I think I have a similar problem. I had to re-flash my zynthian today. After that, I wanted to restore my data. I had secured everything before. After restoring, the snapshots do not work. I couldn’t even see them. I then imported them via webconf. Then I could see and select them again. Unfortunately, all sequencer data is no longer there. @riban Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks…

Best regards

We aspire to backwards compatibility but sometimes fall short. We have learned from experiences like this thread described and great ias thoroughly as we can to reduce the risk of old snapshots failing to load in new versions of the software. It was certainly tested a lot during the 2210 release. What version were your snapshots saved in and what version are you running now? Have you updated since flashing the image?

1 Like

Hi @riban ,
You are correct. I took the wrong image. Sorry, it was a little too late for me yesterday.

Many thanks and best regards

Sometimes the problem sits in front of the device :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for the help…

1 Like