Problems updating the Software from the Admin menu

Hi @all!

If you have problems updating the sofware from the admin menu (i.e. you get an ERROR message), use this thread to post a photo or description of the message.

Regards

Hi Fernando,

yes - I have update problem. When updating from shell I get this:

Updating zynthian-ui ...
From https://github.com/zynthian/zynthian-ui
 * branch            mod        -> FETCH_HEAD
Updating a6438bc..a3666f4
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
        zynthian_gui_config.py
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting

After

cd /zynthian/zynthian-ui
git checkout .

it works.

Regards, Holger

ā€¦ additional:

After update my encoder configuration is lost. Perhaps this can be putted in a file which canā€™t be erased/overwritten by updates?

Regards, Holger

I think that now itā€™s solved. Update system should make a copy of your configuration and restore it after updating.

Plase, reconfigure your encoder configuration and try again.

Anyway, iā€™m working in a better configuration system :wink:

Regards!

Many thanks! It seems to work - but perhaps because I manually updated beforeā€¦ will try this soon for my other Zynthian (itā€™s good to have more than one :wink:!)

Regards, Holger

Hi @jofemodo,

super-fantastic! Update worked on my other Zynthian! Many thanks!!!

Holger

Attempts to ā€œUpdate Softwareā€ from admin menu for a freshly installed ā€œGorgona Omegaā€ image does not seem to work. A set of results are shown and the application continues to run but it isnā€™t the latest version, e.g. the status indicators are missing (CPU, MIDI, xruns, etc.). Attempting to git pull from command line gives an error:

fatal: unable to access ā€˜https://github.com/zynthian/zynthian-ui.git/ā€™: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

I am performing an apt update && apt upgrade which may fix SSL issues. Maybe we should consider providing a method of updating the OS from the menu. It may be advantageous to use an update manifest from somewhere (github?) that defines what updates are required or blacklisted in case there is an opportunity to break the system by a blanket update.

Itā€™s the same update. It doesnā€™t matter, if you trigger it from webconf, zynthian-ui or ssh directly

You have to regenerate the certs. There is a button in the webconf.

I have done an apt upgrade and regenerated keys (though not sure why) but still get same result, i.e. Software Update not actually updating software. Any other ideas?

You did apt upgrade?
Then start from scratch and donā€™t do it again :slight_smile:

update_zynthian.sh is the only script you should use. Sometimes twice.

I was getting these results before I did an apt upgrade. I triggered software update from the UI several times and rebooted several times before performing apt upgrade. Same result in each case. The update script ran without any obvious errors*, completing within 10s but software does not seem to update. Running got pull from within /zynthian/zynthian-ui gives the error about certificate. This was all after a clean install (dd) of Gorgons Omega image.

• I did not see errors in the UI but running the script from ssh session does show the same certificate error so maybe errors are suppressed in the UI.

Sorted!!! Somehow the clock on my RPi had gotten set to 3rd April 2018, i.e. more than a year slow which meant htpdate was not updating (because by default it does not update if more than a year out) and git pull was failing ssl certificate check because date / time was significantly adrift. I ran htpdate with the -t option to force the clock set and now it is updating. I donā€™t know what set the date wrong, maybe something I was doing before the reflash or possibly (but probably unlikely) a time source being wrong after the reflash. Very strange!

But good to know :+1:

Hello community,

I had the same problem with the date and time setting, too.
It would be helpful integrating some sort of ntpdate command into the scripts before searching for new updates if certificates will fail this way.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

I canā€™t seem to clear the wifi option in the GUIā€¦

Should the first run script force time setting? I noticed one of the update scripts ran htpdate with just one server. We should use at least three in case one is down or wrong. Five would be better.

1 Like

I will improve it ā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

I have reinstalled from the original gorgona as well and have the same issue.
Maybe itā€™s because the image is more than a year old now.

Perhaps the configured htpdate servers are failing, although itā€™s quite strange given that iā€™m using the default servers of Debian package.

Anyway, iā€™ve added an explicit call to htpdate at the beginning of update script, including 5 servers:

htpdate -s www.pool.ntp.org www.ntp.br www.wikipedia.org 0.europe.pool.ntp.org www.google.co.uk

It should be enough for not having more problems related with this subject ā€¦

Kind Regards,

but this only works when itā€™s updated. So all new users have an issue now.
When do you think, ZynthianOS is ready to go?