Problems with the SD image

Hi,
I’ve downloaded the software (2019-09-24-zynthianos-buster-lite) and extracted it to a new SD card.

When I boot up my pi3b I get a Zynthian password prompt and the screen keeps cycling to black every few seconds.

What am I doing wrong?

This is normally the sign that jack isn’t starting.
Now you don’t say if you are building on Mofo tin or freeform build, so if the former, you probably have a problem somewhere, and if the later you need to log onto the webconf (a local browser connected one wired Ethernet originally.) and set up your zynth to recognise firstly it’s a custom build and secondly which audio card config, because althou’ the gui reboots if no jackd the webconf server will still run, and allow you to config the zynth.

If you are using an official kit, then once again the webconf is a good place to try to go, and failing that an ssh terminal from Putty will allow us to work it out if you post the results here. . . .

All I did was download the Buster lite version and use Etcher to write it to a new SD.

I put it in the Pi and powered it up.

I got the four raspberries and then a prompt for a password - the screen kept switching to black every few seconds.

Luckily the webconf should be running and from there you can convince the zynth what it really has connected… A bit like dark star… https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h73PsFKtIck

1 Like

I clicked on that link thinking it was a Zynthian tutorial :rofl: :rofl:

Ok, so the Zynthian needs to connect to the internet to continue?

…so I just ssl to it and sodo nano webconf?

Ok, I’ve read a bit more about it - so I should be able to go to webconf from a browser on a different computer.

So I should ignore what’s happening on the RPi screen (via HDMI)?

I figured it out…pi on Ethernet - webconf shows up fine.

I’ve configured WiFi.

Now I guess I’d better buy some kit!

Hi @Dazzathedrummer!

The Zynthian SD image is pre-configured for working with a very specific combination of hardware parts. If you try to run the image in a raw RBPi connected to a HDMI display, you will get the result you describe. It’s the expected behaviour :wink:

As @wyleu has pointed, you should re-configure the hardware using the webconf tool, as described in the wiki:

http://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Accessing_Zynthian_from_your_computer

Kind Regards,

Hi there, i have the same problem (rpi4). I have configed the webgui so that im using custom kit, generic audio usb, generic hdmi display. Plugged in my usb audio. But still same problem. Im using the latest green build. Do i have to do iniial startup in a specific order? Do i have to have the midikeyboard plugged in aswell?

Best regards

Probably your usb audio device is not being recognized. Could you access by ssh and check if it’s working?

My usb card is visable with aplay -l , os has workd before with the exact same hardware :frowning:

The zynthian log would be very helpful for diagnose your problem :wink:

Access by ssh, execute:

# systemctl stop zynthian
# zynthian.sh

and send the output from it.

regards,

1 Like

I tried to plug in my midikeyboard and it booted fine again. Sorry for the trouble. But good to know in the future :slight_smile: Seems like jack wont start if no audio or midiinput is connected when doing custom kit. Once all connected it worked fine.

3 Likes

I loaded 2019-09-24-zynthianos-buster-lite-1.0.0-RC1 on my Pi3, and the UI seems normal, but none of the 4 control buttons do anything. Here’s the zynthian.sh info requested:

Linux zynthian 4.19.66-v7+ #1253 SMP Thu Aug 15 11:49:46 BST 2019 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
root@zynthian:~# systemctl stop zynthian
root@zynthian:~# zynthian.sh

X.Org X Server 1.20.4
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.15.0-48-generic armv8l Raspbian
Current Operating System: Linux zynthian 4.19.66-v7+ #1253 SMP Thu Aug 15 11:49:46 BST 2019 armv7l
Kernel command line: coherent_pool=1M 8250.nr_uarts=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=640 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=480 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
Build Date: 05 June 2019 12:49:54PM
xorg-server 2:1.20.4-1+rpt1 (https://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.36.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (–) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: “/var/log/Xorg.0.log”, Time: Wed Jul 10 01:24:24 2019
(==) Using config directory: “/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d”
(==) Using system config directory “/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d”
INFO:root:ZYNTHIAN-UI CONFIG …
INFO:root:Wiring Layout MCP23017_ZynScreen
DEBUG:root:ZYNCODER A: [102, 105, 110, 113]
DEBUG:root:ZYNCODER B: [101, 104, 109, 112]
DEBUG:root:SWITCHES layout: [100, 103, 108, 111, 106, 107, 114, 115]
DEBUG:root:DISABLED_MIDI_IN = [’’]
DEBUG:root:ENABLED_MIDI_OUT = [‘ttymidi:MIDI_out’]
DEBUG:root:ENABLED_MIDI_FB = [’’]
INFO:root:STARTING ZYNTHIAN-UI …
libjackpeak registering as ‘jackpeak’.
libjackpeak created input ports
INFO:root:SWITCHES INIT…
INFO:root:SETUP ZYNSWITCH 0 => wpGPIO 100
INFO:root:SETUP ZYNSWITCH 1 => wpGPIO 103
INFO:root:SETUP ZYNSWITCH 2 => wpGPIO 108
INFO:root:SETUP ZYNSWITCH 3 => wpGPIO 111
INFO:root:SETUP ZYNSWITCH 4 => wpGPIO 106
INFO:root:SETUP ZYNSWITCH 5 => wpGPIO 107
INFO:root:SETUP ZYNSWITCH 6 => wpGPIO 114
INFO:root:SETUP ZYNSWITCH 7 => wpGPIO 115
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Layer’: 0 (0 -> 7), None, None
ZynMidiRouter: MIDI tuning frequency set to 440 Hz (8192)
INFO:root:STOPPING QMIDINET
INFO:root:STOPPING touchosc2midi
INFO:root:STOPPING aubionotes
INFO:root:ZYNTHIAN-UI OSC server running in port 1370
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Snapshot’: 0 (0 -> 0), None, None
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Snapshot’: 2 (0 -> 2), None, None
DEBUG:root:ZCTRL ‘Layer’: 0 (0 -> 7), None, None

Hi @tstex!

Buster SD image is configured for v3 kits by default. If your kit is v2 or v1, you have to configure with webconf.

Thanks!

1 Like

You mean under Hardware / Kit ?

I tried v3 (default), v2+ (which is what I think I have), and v2 but still have the same problem.
Ran the stop start zynthian.sh commands above and diff’d the output, but they’re pretty much the same.

Anything else I could run that would get things going? Where do I start looking for a fix for this? Thanks.

I have a Pi-4 with ‘2019-12-05-zynthianos-buster-lite-1.0.0’ installed.

Webconf is not allowing me to change audio, video or control setup. The drop down menu is stuck.

I have the Fe-Pi zero V1 and would be using ‘dummy’ controls via Waveshare 7-inch USB touchscreen.

Did you try to change the kit to custom, like written in the info icon?

1 Like

This often catches me out and we see it reported here fairly frequently. I think the indication needs to be more prevalent with a link to the Hardware Kit screen.

1 Like

OK! Open an issue and i will improve this …

1 Like