Proposal for Zynthian geniuses

On my custom zynthian, usb C is inside the case, i just configured it as host (in config.txt), and plugged in som usb ssd.

Kept sd card for the os, though, and just use this one for captures / soudfonts / whatever

1 Like

You could write a small guide for those who don’t know this topic well… (me first :wink:).

Totally agree! I never had a problem with SD card speed when using good ones.

1 Like

It was not my intention to create discord… as said I am absolutely ignorant and in my vast sea of ignorance I assumed that an SSD was safer than an SD…
But again for those who “ignore” like me, can’t you make a list of the best performing SD cards? I tried to read some articles but all those acronyms gave me a headache…
If the site administrators want to close this thread, I’m not offended. :wink:

1 Like

Don’t worry. We like to explore all possibilities. Exploring is good. Learning too :wink:

2 Likes

I absolutely agree. and thanks to people like you who share, even “non-experts” can study and learn. So thank you

1 Like

Anything that is UHS and class 3 or higher is fast enough.
In production I always use SD cards that I can use in a 4K camera.
But I 'm also using slower SD cards and haven’t had any problem.

2 Likes

They use very similar tech so not much safer. SSD have error protection in the form of redundancy, i.e. some disk space is lost when faults occur but data is written elsewhere. SSD have always been prone to write errors due to the limited quantity of writes before irreparable damage occurs. SD after similarly affected. Zynthian avoids unnecessary writes as much as it can.

2 Likes

To be honest. I have experienced several dead SD cards (definitely not because of heavy use!), also of brands such as SanDisk or Kingston, but I am still (anxiously) awaiting a dead SSD.

It is a matter of scale. We tend to use more SD than SSD. In a company I worked at a project installed a few hundred 1U rack-mounted PCs with SSD for control and monitoring. The SSD failure rate was approx 5% after a couple of years. Also, failures are gradual due to the self-healing alogrithms that detect bad sectors and mark them as unavailable. (I remember those endless days watching disk checkers mark bad sectors on my early HDD.) I am sure if you wait long enough or use a sufficient quantity of SSD you will be rewarded with a failure ;-).

2 Likes

Many thanks Pau.

1 Like