Pure Data with csound6~

For those working with Pure Data on Zynthian, just wondering if anyone has tried the using the csound6~ object from inside Pure Data yet?

Asking because this is the main reason I decided to build a Zynthian, and I’m wondering how well the CsoundAPI via Pure Data would perform on the RasPi 3 B+ (csound via command line has always been less optimal for me, with alsa midi connection setup, buffer speculations, midi CC screening, etc.)

Hi @sebiiksbcs!

I’ve not tried this object, but it should work, although perhaps you have to install csound in your zynthian before.

http://files.csound-tutorial.net/floss_manual/Release03/Cs_FM_03_ScrapBook/csound-in-pd.html

Regards,

1 Like

Csound is already installed for some reason, but you might have to install pd-csound too

I was just checking if there’s anyone out there using it already, since I’m bummed out by running csound standalone via command line, the latency is just too bad

1 Like

True, it’s installed. Some package is using it. I don’t remember exactly what package is …
An AFAIK, pd-csound is already installed too :wink:

1 Like

Yes, on Rp4 I have used Pd-Csound and it works very nicely under Jack. There’s also a Haskell bridge to Csound that looks promising but I’ve done only the most rudimentary things with it. The reason for it is it makes Csound much more into the present …

But Pd-Cound works on Rpi4. Perhaps best of all is routing Pd through Jack will also take Csound with it

Ps … my main interest in Cound is just that there’s SO MUCH extent code for it just waiting to be plucked. In my tests, I was using the GENDY and FOF opcodes and getting great results (as far as testing goes)

1 Like