Random notes per Midi fx?

Hi Zynthianians,
I wonder if there is an easy way to play configurable (speed, pitch, scale) random notes with Midi fx. I need this for a sound installation. Or maybe there is a different way I don’t see?
Thanks for help

Check out the Bespoke synth. Bespoke Synth Reference

There are quite a few nice examples on youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bespoke+synth

But Bespoke is not part of Zynthian, isn’t it?
It’s need to play simple random notes/chords on Zynthian because the V4 Kit is part of an installation.

Unfortunately it’s not. On zynthian, try to go through the LV2 plugins to see if some of them can generate midi. Look in webconfig at http://zynthian.local/sw-jalv-lv2 But it won’t be an easy job.

I tried a long time ago Bespoke installed on rasp 4. But it ran a bit jerky, maybe the new version is better. Now I have it on a normal PC and, I generate midi notes with it and send to Zynthian via rtp-midi using the command Bespoke Synth Reference

If you have any free raspberry pi 4, install the latest raspi os and Bespoke and try it, I recommend using rtp-midi. Just connect to the network and you don’t have to deal with midi cables. If the performance of the pi 4 is not enough, use some old laptop with linux. Bespoke also runs with ALSA itself, you don’t need a jack server because zynthian will play.

This is my testing setup for Zynthian. Six channels of Zynthian getting midi stream from Bespoke.

For me, the easiest way to make noise. Classic DAWs are too classic for me. After attaching my midi controllers in the bespoke, I will somehow process the midi singal and send it to the hardware modules.

Sorry, this is not helpful and too much configuration. Thanks but I need an easier way to play some random notes. Maybe I try the Zynthian sequencer and play a repeating sequence.

OK, try sequencer and the infamous mindi, i find it in LV2 plugins on Zynthian the infamous mindi - MOD Audio

Maybe it will meet your expectations.

A puredata patch would do the task very easily. Indeed, one of the PD patches currently included have some kind of random generator. You could use it as a base for your requirements.

Regards,

1 Like

Thanks! But I have to connect via Remote Desktop to configure? Or is configuration directly on Zynthian gui possible?

For creating the patch you need to use the VNC and access the PD native GUI. PD is very similar to Max and it’s not difficult to achieve something like you describe. I would recommend to take the “generative/grids” patch as a base, as it already generate random MIDI notes but following some rules and structure, so it’s not 100% random. You can control a good number of parameters, including the degree of randomness. You could contact the author of this patch that should be in the forum.

Regards,

1 Like

OK! Here is the thread:

The patch seems to be a port from a well-known organelle patch.

1 Like

It works!! Easier as expected. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Can you be more specific, Jofemodo, how to edit a pd-patch? Do I have to program the pd-patch on a desktop and transfer it to the Zynthian ?
Another question: Any plan to implement cycling74 RNBO to Zynthian?

You could use the make the patch on another machine and transfer it, or you could do what @jofemodo is suggesting - to expand on his instructions, You access your Zynthian via a browser and webconf. Then after checking the box to see “advanced options” you turn on VNC support and open additional tabs-windows in your browser - there are 2 ‘screens’ available, one is a duplicate of Zynthian’s small screen, the others lets an engine-chain, such as PureData open a window.

I can’t be more specific about command-MenuItems-names because I don’t have access to Zynthian right now, hopefully you get the idea and can find what I’m talking about from webconf menu-screens.

I think it is more a matter of Cycling74 adding support in RNBO for a Zynthian target machine. I think they support a generic C++ output of some sort so maybe we could make using that feasible-easier.

1 Like

Thanks, tunagenes, after searching I found it under [Interface]…[User Interface], new world for me.

BTW changing the values via VNC did not reflect on the Zynthian…or changing values on the Zynthian did not changethe values in the webbrowser.

I am not sure, but with Pisound and the PatchOS - RNBO on Patchbox OS - Patchbox OS - Blokas Community - I could load a RNBO_patch sucessfully. Would be great to have it on the Zynthian too.

Ahh, I see RNBO has improved-added much since I looked at it. So it’s a matter of working out equivalent instructions for Zynthian to be a RNBO runner. If you would like to do so, of course.

1 Like

If I had the ability, I would do it :slight_smile:

In case someone else comes along and ‘picks up this thread’, the instant ‘issue’ is item 4 in the instructions:

Disable Patchbox’s Jack service, as it would conflict with RNBO runner. (in the future RNBO should be made to connect to the shared preconfigured server if available, otherwise start its own)

Which of course is a problem for Zynthian!