Recommendations on oscilloscopes

I am considering one of these. HDS200 Series

HDS272S 70MHz dual channel with signal generator. Battery powered to allow it to float and acts as a DMM too.

Or this (which I have now ordered):

or here in a flash sale that is low cost including VAT (to UK):

Wow - i really like what you can get in a low cost scope these days!

I recently found a very nice open source oscilloscope project:

But they are “gearing up for a crowdfunding campaign” so ‘between versions’ - kind of similar to the current situation with Zynthian, except it’s worse with them cos you can’t just use the software without the hardware in the interim as far as I can see.

They have hit their target (several times over) and the device looks really cool but it has a premium price tag. Not as expensive as the market leaders but still high for a hobbiest.

1 Like

I bought one of those NTS-2. Nice tool!

Of course I used the right table cloth… and on the left is a MicroDexed -Touch

2 Likes

… But don’t these kit oscilloscopes cost too much? I have a trivial Siglent sds 1052 DL which would do 50Mhz but it is akerable to get to 100 Mhz … and costs like the kits …

Siglent

Sure, but it’s tiny and has the right connectors for fast setup. Also it fits right my needs for my current project. I currently only need audio bandwith, so 50 or 100 Mhz is not needed. But the killer argument for me is that I can take it easy with me to my many programming places😀

I am happy (so far) with the tablet type scope I bought. Pretty cheap and large display with touch controls (no knobs or swiches) and battery powered. I am yet to use it in anger but the tests I have done have been good so far. I should get my workbench back soon and start building proper electronics again when I will be using it to measure audio and data signals.

Certainly if you bought that tool it’s because it’s fine for you. I bought my oscilloscope (which I haven’t used for a year) when I was crazy about building transceivers, solid state and tube… now I’ve stopped a bit but I intend to start over… I also have a frequency generator to calibrate the radios.
If Riban gives me some of his electronic knowledge… I’m fine… :pleading_face:

1 Like

IN retrospect, that’s probably the sort of thing I should have gone for. The ability to use it in the field (literally) without mains is a real boon.

1 Like

I’m surprised nobody is mentioning about the (now old but good) rigol ds1054z. Far better UX than Entry level Tektronix(even the expensive ones) or Rohde&Schwarz IMO(have used them both at my previous job)

1 Like

DS1054Z here, fully unlocked, love this machine!

1 Like

Hi, maybe some would be interested in these links:
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware#Oscilloscopes
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Main_Page

1 Like

I was once in a situation where I needed a logic analyzer to reverse engineer a signal. While I didn’t have one on hand, I used the very same microcontroller that should decode the signal after I would have reverse engineered the protocol.
Use a timer that resets at each edge and capture its logic level. You then have a waveform representation that you can print on serial and parse with a python script into a csv.
Sigrok is nice, but has some issues here and there. For example, it has timestamp support for logic signals, such that you don’t clutter the file, yet it doesn’t do anything with them.

hackaday has a story comparing Fnirsi and Rigol scopes:

It includes a pointer to “a 46-minute-long video which does more than just a casual look. He uses both scopes in some real-world measurements. If you are in the market for a scope in this price range, it is worth the time to watch.”

FNIRSI 1014D Test And Review vs Rigol DS1052E

1 Like

Here’s a YouTube video about a very cute, inexpensive, pocket size, open source oscilloscope with a built-in signal generator. I’m sure it’s not a very good scope from a spec standpoint but it might be good enough for some use. I did not see any indications that the schematics or PCB layout were available (‘open hardware’).

2 Likes