Recommendations on oscilloscopes

Just that really.
2 channels triggerable.

Any other approaches or ideas…?

1 Like

I currently use a Bitscope Micro (conntected to a RPi400). I tried a lent 4-channel/1 Ghz Tektronix, but it was too complicated for the things I wanted to do…

Seems to be unavailable, and has been for some time.

A Rohde and Schwarz will probably offer everything one would ever need, but costs an arm and a leg…

But depending on your requirements maybe something like the following is enough. Sorry for the wrong language, haven’t found a way to switch to english…

1 Like

The Pokit Meter and Pokit Pro include a one-channel oscilloscope feature, just get two meters. :slight_smile: Not sure about the trigger part…

Well I’ve got Amazon to provide Hantek DSO5102P…

I’m chasing down audio noise so we shall see.
It’s certainly infinitely better than the old school scope I learnt on.

Accidentally slipped and got caught in a prime monkey trap. I’m fairly sure I’ve escaped by cancelling but one can never be too careful…

What does that mean?

Amazon, as an organisation, are VERY keen for me to sign up for their Prime service, because in their view, my life will be infinitely improved, by simply clicking on one of the many, many, MANY buttons they leave casually lying around on their carefully considered front end.
Well, whilst committing myself to purchasing said item, whilst pressing what I thought was a buy now button, turned out to be a sign up to Amazon Prime, here, now, this instant.

Well I did, but carefully, to the limits of my ability, instantly tried to irradiate the newly established prime session, and I’m pretty sure I have done, to the limits of my somewhat limited understanding of the Amazon interface.

So I’m pretty sure I’ve escaped but we shall see…

The Monkey trap is the clever bamboo finger traps used to catch monkeys that tighten as they are curiously investigated, and serve as a rather nice metaphor for the Amazon approach to customer ‘encouragement’

In other news I quite like AWS. It’s as unifying a moment in computing as Windows 3 was for a different age. . .

I’m rather looking forward to the scope turning up…

Ah, thanks. Have fun ‘chasing down audio noise’ with the scope. With some noise sources it helps to power the scope from battery.

KORG has a “DIY” scope for 229.99 US$ list. Also has analyzer, tuner, and tone generator. Pretty steep price, though.

I got caught in one of those Amazon monkey traps, too. They make it all too easy to click on the wrong button.

2 Likes

I love it when grandpa sits out on the porch and tells stories about shouting at the moon.

Tails of old Artemis…

Arthur Pini at Electronic Design News wrote an interesting article about some subtle points regarding measuring-[looking at] noise with a digital scope that I hadn’t seen before:
How to make better measurements with your oscilloscope or digitizer
https://www.edn.com/how-to-make-better-measurements-with-your-oscilloscope-or-digitizer

1 Like

Could this be of interest?
I have a feeling that the majority of the cheap oscilloscopes are based on the same hardware…

4 Likes

KORG has a “DIY” scope for 229.99 US$ list. Also has analyzer, tuner, and tone generator.

Also known as the Korg NTS-2 (Thomann).

1 Like

Checkout Rigol. Well made scopes inside and out that are feature-packed. They actually used to make the entry-level scopes for Agilent. You can checkout reviews on EEVblog site.

An article in EETimes has a review and a table of current low cost oscilloscopes:
www.planetanalog.com/a-comparison-of-budget-compact-oscilloscopes

1 Like

Here’s an interesting scope option based on STM32 processor and I think open source-Hardware:

1 Like

Full article is a great resource with lots of details and explanations. :+1:

1 Like