Recurring Crashes - devices in conflict?

Hi all!
I’m experiencing a problem with some hardware I’m trying to use in my custom zhyntian.

I’m running the system with stable repos and the module is powered by a pi4 4gb
If I use in combination apc 25key + behringer 202 after some notes played the system crashes, with a warning triangle in the right corner, the audio interface is powered off for some seconds and then when it is back, obv it doesn’t sound anymore.

If I switch one or both of the 2 devices everything works perfectly (I have a mackie onyx producer interface and a nektar controller)

I tought it was because of my power supply so I bought another raspberry official psu but the problem isn’t solved.

Do you have any advices or suggestions?

In my poor experience the only possible reason apart from software conflict between the two devices is about psu wattage, because I also have a 7” touchscreen connected to one of the raspi usb 2.0 for powering

Thank you in advance

Have you tried with a Powered hub?

Does the Pi crash or is it just the zynthian GUI ? i.e. does the machine restart from Power on (in which case the Pi shut down, perhaps because it got too hot or it’s power supply dipped under load) or was it just the zynthian GUI where it kicked back to the zynthian loading screen and then loaded the mixer?

If it’s the later then you can examine the error messages by starting a command line, which can be done from webconf but is more satisfactorily done via a command line,

systemctl stop zynthian

Then change into the zynthian GUI directory

cd /zynthian/zynthian-ui

and start the code

./zynthian.sh

If it crahes you should se e some error message that will act as a pointer to where the problem may be.

the system doesn’t kick me out to the login screen, I’m still in the mixer one.

this is the ui-log output in debug mode, the fun fact is that it doesn’t crash at all being in debug

Blockquote
gist:606f4b3bd652eef0f46f2aa96c4101f4 · GitHub

Feb 14 16:27:33 zynthian startx[2647]: ZynCore->setup_behaviour_zyncoder(2, ...): Invalid index!
Feb 14 16:27:33 zynthian startx[2647]: ZynCore->setup_behaviour_zyncoder(3, ...): Invalid index!
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: Exception in thread multitouch:
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: File "/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py", line 917, in _bootstrap_inner
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: self.run()
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: File "/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py", line 865, in run
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: File "/home/pi/zynthian-ui/zyngui/multitouch.py", line 218, in _run
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: event = self._f_device.read(self.EVENT_SIZE)
Feb 14 16:28:14 zynthian startx[2647]: OSError: [Errno 19] No such device

Looks like where things are going wrong if they are. We can probably assume we ain’t discovered a bug in threading.py. It feels PSU not supply enough, but that’s just a hunch. Hanging a 7" screen of it directly feels a little harsh to me, but methodical adding of these components is going to pin that down or rule it out.

You can get a servicable zynth using the dummy audio setting, or RPI headphones, so this will allow you to drop the Behringer. Try with an hdmi screen ( if you have one) and change the screen to hdmi without the 7" attached.

It’s generally turn out to be power suppl, but that’ not to say you haven’t discover a particularly virtuous combination…

what should I do? I can’t get to which device the error is related
thank you for your precious support

You don’t need to test the rig as a whole because you will probably find that they all have their own power turn on idiosyncrasies that makes such a process inconclusive.

Strip it all down to an absolute minimum of connected devices to prove you can start a working zynth even if it cant make a sound or uses an externally powered hdmi monitor.
The webconf is pretty rugged in this sort of situation and you can restart with different settings to you hearts content till you discover the working one.

One word of warning. Take a screenshot of your original settings because it’s a real pain retyping in Pin’s for encoders if you have done something creative in this department, or changed your sample rate or similar.

Plug each device in and see at what point it fails. Whatch the temperature. There are also ways of checking wether or not the zPi has throttled because it’s not able to maintain the PS voltage. This is the yellow diamond that flashes when issues are getting hectic, once it’s been on the whole Pi gets … nervous…