RTP-MIDI on zynthian

Thank you @BEB,

your work will be highly appreciated.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

1 Like

For all interested Zynthianers : the V0.3 daemon is now available on my Github repository https://github.com/imodularsynth/jackrtpmidid

This version now implements both direction (to and from RTP-MIDI), and I have changed the connection names as suggested by Roman

Enjoy !

Benoit

3 Likes

It runs, I can connect it to things in patchage, but it doesn’t seem to generate any network traffic, or appear in NetMIDI on my ipad in the same way ravelox does. Does it need arguments passed?

But … where is the source code?
Is it free software? What license does apply? I’m confused, sorry…

Don’t worry, it is free (especially for the Zynthian), I just don’t know yet under what license I will publish it.

If you need a written confirmation that you can use it with the Zynthian, I can send an email to you or anything else you would need to make sure you are allowed to use it.

Benoit

Hey Baggypants,

it’s normal that you can’t see it on your iPad. Both the iPad and the Zynthian (with rtpmidid) are session listeners. You need a session initiator in front of the daemon to invite it and negotiate the session.
If you have a Mac, you can use the Network MIDI applet in MIDI/Audio configuration (in System Tools) to create such a session
If you have a PC, you can install rtpMIDI driver from Tobias Erichsen. It has exactly the same user interface than the Mac driver by the way.
For details about the configuration, I recommend you to take a look here, this is the document I wrote for KissBox a few years ago to explain the use of RTP-MIDI https://kiss-box.nl/downloads-archive/integration-guide/

Note that rtpmidid daemon is able to become a session initiator (my RTP-MIDI source code contains everything for that), but it would need to be modified to accept arguments (becoming a session initiator requires to know the IP address and the UDP port to invite on the remote device). I did not implement this yet, because I am not sure it would be easy to enter an IP address and a port number on the Zynthian GUI.
If you think that this would be feasible, then I can implement command line parameters to handle this mode. Give me your feeling about this.

Benoit

1 Like

Well, now you have the advantage over me! I have neither Windows nor MacOS. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi ,
please take a look at this side : RTP-MIDI.
You will find also the raveloxmidi as discussed at the beginning of this thread.
Greetings
Roman

2 Likes

Hey baggypants,

I will not make the classical joke “you don’t know what you miss” :wink:

I think that the rtpmidid should solve your issue (and by the way, from what I can see, you can follow explanations given in the PDF to understand what you have to do on the computer side)

As I said to Roman, if you have problems to establish a session between the Zynthian and a session initiator, use -verbosertp switch on the command line of rtpmidid, it will show you the session control

Benoit

2 Likes

Seems to work good on a wired connection. Haven’t got it working on wireless as patchage crashes before I can configure it.
I suspect the remote x server is hogging to much bandwidth, and my keyboard sends midi clock as well.

Hi @zynthianers!

I found this:

:wink:

2 Likes

And the Avahi (aka “Bonjour”) should allow to detect listeners and select from a list (or autoconnect it) without having to write the IP/Port … or am i wrong?

Yes, you are right. mDNS advertize the IP and port of a remote device, so once you know them, you can start a session by using the parameters they have transmitted.
However, take care of one thing : not all RTP-MIDI devices implement Bonjour/mDNS. So, in theory, it is better to offer both options :

• select a mDNS device from a list (where you can find the names of the device advertising using mDNS)
  • enter manually IP and port to allow connection to device not implementing mDNS

Benoit

Currently, entering an IP from zynthian UI is not an option, so, when working as a RTPMIDI master. only Bonjour/mDNS-enabled devices would be initiated from Zynthian,

Of course, zynthian itself, as a listener, is already notifying RTPMIDI by Avahi (aka mDNS/Bonjour) :wink:

Simply update software and reboot …

Thanks!

1 Like

I just tried via wifi and in my rpi4+Hifiberry DAC+ ADC barebone Zynthian it is flawless. I made sure to have Mobaxterm and ssh connections alive to try to “hog” the wifi band but till now with no issues.

Nice job

3 Likes

Hi José,

do you mean that RTP-MIDI daemon is now included in the last software ?
If so, I have a problem : I have made a software update (from Admin menu) and a reboot, but I see no RTP-MIDI activity coming from the Zynthian (and I can not connect to it anyway from a RTP-MIDI driver)

I am sure that update was done well, since I see now a MIXER entry on the Layer page (and this entry was not there just before the update)

Is there a way to check if the daemon has been included correctly during the update ?

Thanks

Benoit

Hi Jose,
same to me. I’ve updated and seen that there was included a script jack???rtpmidi.sh, but I can’t explore anything in patchage?
Greeitngs
Roman

UPDATE:
I copied the jackrtpmidi by hand in the /usr/local/bin directory and did the chmod.
But the start of the services failed.

I think its just in prep for adding it. The recipe to install it is there.
you can ssh into it and run jackrtpmidid &
Then run patchage and hook it up to test it out.
Next would be to have the ui to turn it on and off. and add/remove it from the graph.

Hi, normaly I do this job via systemctl.

I just tried setting this up for first time and found that modui shows afar more midid ports than i had hoped for :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: