RTP-MIDI on zynthian

Hey Baggypants,

it’s normal that you can’t see it on your iPad. Both the iPad and the Zynthian (with rtpmidid) are session listeners. You need a session initiator in front of the daemon to invite it and negotiate the session.
If you have a Mac, you can use the Network MIDI applet in MIDI/Audio configuration (in System Tools) to create such a session
If you have a PC, you can install rtpMIDI driver from Tobias Erichsen. It has exactly the same user interface than the Mac driver by the way.
For details about the configuration, I recommend you to take a look here, this is the document I wrote for KissBox a few years ago to explain the use of RTP-MIDI https://kiss-box.nl/downloads-archive/integration-guide/

Note that rtpmidid daemon is able to become a session initiator (my RTP-MIDI source code contains everything for that), but it would need to be modified to accept arguments (becoming a session initiator requires to know the IP address and the UDP port to invite on the remote device). I did not implement this yet, because I am not sure it would be easy to enter an IP address and a port number on the Zynthian GUI.
If you think that this would be feasible, then I can implement command line parameters to handle this mode. Give me your feeling about this.

Benoit

1 Like

Well, now you have the advantage over me! I have neither Windows nor MacOS. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi ,
please take a look at this side : RTP-MIDI.
You will find also the raveloxmidi as discussed at the beginning of this thread.
Greetings
Roman

2 Likes

Hey baggypants,

I will not make the classical joke “you don’t know what you miss” :wink:

I think that the rtpmidid should solve your issue (and by the way, from what I can see, you can follow explanations given in the PDF to understand what you have to do on the computer side)

As I said to Roman, if you have problems to establish a session between the Zynthian and a session initiator, use -verbosertp switch on the command line of rtpmidid, it will show you the session control

Benoit

2 Likes

Seems to work good on a wired connection. Haven’t got it working on wireless as patchage crashes before I can configure it.
I suspect the remote x server is hogging to much bandwidth, and my keyboard sends midi clock as well.

Hi @zynthianers!

I found this:

:wink:

2 Likes

And the Avahi (aka “Bonjour”) should allow to detect listeners and select from a list (or autoconnect it) without having to write the IP/Port … or am i wrong?

Yes, you are right. mDNS advertize the IP and port of a remote device, so once you know them, you can start a session by using the parameters they have transmitted.
However, take care of one thing : not all RTP-MIDI devices implement Bonjour/mDNS. So, in theory, it is better to offer both options :

• select a mDNS device from a list (where you can find the names of the device advertising using mDNS)
  • enter manually IP and port to allow connection to device not implementing mDNS

Benoit

Currently, entering an IP from zynthian UI is not an option, so, when working as a RTPMIDI master. only Bonjour/mDNS-enabled devices would be initiated from Zynthian,

Of course, zynthian itself, as a listener, is already notifying RTPMIDI by Avahi (aka mDNS/Bonjour) :wink:

Simply update software and reboot …

Thanks!

1 Like

I just tried via wifi and in my rpi4+Hifiberry DAC+ ADC barebone Zynthian it is flawless. I made sure to have Mobaxterm and ssh connections alive to try to “hog” the wifi band but till now with no issues.

Nice job

3 Likes

Hi José,

do you mean that RTP-MIDI daemon is now included in the last software ?
If so, I have a problem : I have made a software update (from Admin menu) and a reboot, but I see no RTP-MIDI activity coming from the Zynthian (and I can not connect to it anyway from a RTP-MIDI driver)

I am sure that update was done well, since I see now a MIXER entry on the Layer page (and this entry was not there just before the update)

Is there a way to check if the daemon has been included correctly during the update ?

Thanks

Benoit

Hi Jose,
same to me. I’ve updated and seen that there was included a script jack???rtpmidi.sh, but I can’t explore anything in patchage?
Greeitngs
Roman

UPDATE:
I copied the jackrtpmidi by hand in the /usr/local/bin directory and did the chmod.
But the start of the services failed.

I think its just in prep for adding it. The recipe to install it is there.
you can ssh into it and run jackrtpmidid &
Then run patchage and hook it up to test it out.
Next would be to have the ui to turn it on and off. and add/remove it from the graph.

Hi, normaly I do this job via systemctl.

I just tried setting this up for first time and found that modui shows afar more midid ports than i had hoped for :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Try to guess who made the announcement… :innocent:

2 Likes

I have no idea … :thinking:

1 Like

ok so i’ve updated, installed via the recipe & run “jackrtpmidid &” - i can see there’s a jackrtpmidid element in the patchage UI with “rtpmidi_in” and “rtpmidi_out” that are not connected to anything - i guess that means i need to “hook it up” manually, but i don’t know what to connect it to

what do i need to “hook it up” to, please?

You should have a Zyn midi router in patchage. Connect it there

OK like this, yes? (outlined in yellow box)

but what about the input? i have a separate device on the same network that’s generating midi - do i need to connect that to rtpmidi_in? if so, how?