RTP-MIDI on zynthian

You have to open a midi router in the computer where the device is connected (like MidiOx in Windows) and connect that midi device to the RTP-Midi port you want to use in Zynthian.

ok thank you, i’ve got it working now

the other device is my phone, and it took me a short while to find an iOS app that would initiate the midi session - but then i found Midi Network app

so first try - with midi generated in Fugue Machine on iOS, played through ZynAddSubFX → Collection → Simple Chimes, with a little bit of extra resonance

6 Likes

Hi @zynthianers!

RTP-MIDI integration is complete now. You can enable/disable RTP-MIDI from the UI’s admin menu and also from the webconf. When enabled, the input/output ports will be autoconnected, so no need for patchage.

The only thing i miss is the possibility of being an “initiator”, so we can connect our zynthian to tablets and other “listeners”. I mean, i would like to use my IPad as sequencer.

Just update and enjoy!! :wink:

3 Likes

I get

Jan 30 01:18:44 zynthian startx[495]: Failed to start jackrtpmidid.service: Unit jackrtpmidid.service not found.

Jan 30 01:18:44 zynthian startx[495]: ERROR:zynthian_gui_admin: Command 'systemctl start jackrtpmidid' returned non-zero exit status 5.

I just updated my Zynthian, and I tried to start RTP-MIDI from the UI, but I get:

Jan 30 02:22:57 zynthian startx[432]: ERROR:zynthian_gui_admin: Command 'systemctl start jackrtpmidid' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Jan 30 02:25:51 zynthian startx[432]: Failed to start jackrtpmidid.service: Unit jackrtpmidid.service has a bad unit file setting.
Jan 30 02:25:51 zynthian startx[432]: See system logs and 'systemctl status jackrtpmidid.service' for details.
Jan 30 02:25:51 zynthian startx[432]: ERROR:zynthian_gui_admin: Command 'systemctl start jackrtpmidid' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Jan 30 02:25:53 zynthian startx[432]: Failed to start jackrtpmidid.service: Unit jackrtpmidid.service has a bad unit file setting.
Jan 30 02:25:53 zynthian startx[432]: See system logs and 'systemctl status jackrtpmidid.service' for details.
Jan 30 02:25:53 zynthian startx[432]: ERROR:zynthian_gui_admin: Command 'systemctl start jackrtpmidid' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Jan 30 02:26:11 zynthian startx[432]: Failed to start jackrtpmidid.service: Unit jackrtpmidid.service has a bad unit file setting.
Jan 30 02:26:11 zynthian startx[432]: See system logs and 'systemctl status jackrtpmidid.service' for details.
Jan 30 02:26:11 zynthian startx[432]: ERROR:zynthian_gui_admin: Command 'systemctl start jackrtpmidid' returned non-zero exit status 1.

jackrtpmidid.service is in /etc/systemd on github , shouldn’t it be in /etc/systemd/system ?

Well at least you can ssh and manually run jackrtpmidid. And it will work.

Oh, I wonder if I have a jackrtpmidid bin kicking around which is stalling the script.

Hi,
at my Zynthian it is placed in /etc/systemd/system. But it didn’t works, if you start automaticly via ‘systemctl enable jackrtpmidid’. The path to jack_wait couldn’t be resolved so the path should be absolutly ‘/usr/local/bin/jack_wait -w’. Then it starts at boot time.
Greetings
Roman

Sorry guys! It should be fixed now. Simply update again 

Regards,

2 Likes

Sorry, I furtherwise have a problem with connention ZynMidiRouter:main_out to jackrtpmidid:rtpmidi_in. I got feedback from midi notes and others.
Roman

Please, forget connecting by hand. Simply update your zynthian and enable RTP-MIDI from the admin or webconf.

The connection will be established each time I create a new layer. No connection made by hand. The blue m is allways on until I removed this connection.
Greetings Roman

Hi Roman.
Is it giving feedback (stuck notes for instance) now? To solve this i had to remove the ZynthianMidiRouter out connection to JackRtpMidi, but this was before this final integration made today. I don’t have access to my Zynthian at this moment to try it.

I updated and rebooted my Zynthian, aaand
 it works! :smiley: :partying_face: Thanks, @jofemodo! :ok_hand:

Uh oh, I think I hear @wyleu’s heavy footsteps behind me
 :scream: :rofl:

This is me controlling Helm, Noize Mak3r, and a TR909 soundfont from my laptop via LMMS. Wirelessly! :grinning:

8 Likes

Hi,
now, after updating, it is perfect working. Thank you very much to Jose and Benoit.
Greetings
Roman

3 Likes

And source code of the daemon is now on my Github, if somebody wants to play with it :grinning:

Just one thing : the compiled version on the Github is still V0.3, but the source code is 0.4 (V0.3 is the one currently in the Zynthian too)

I will put the V0.4 tomorrow on the Github, along with the Netbeans project I use to compile it.

Benoit

4 Likes

Hi Benoit!

This is fantastic!! I’m pretty sure you will find some collaborator 

BTW, you forgot the LICENSE.txt :wink:

Regards,

Hi José,

don’t thank me, the pleasure is for me to know that my work is now a little part of this great project called Zynthian :heart_eyes:

I will add the missing files (like license.txt) at the same time I will put the Netbeans project file.

I need to do some cleanups in the Github like moving the binary file somewhere else, I will do this as soon as I have time

Benoit

3 Likes

Hi all,

I have two issues with RTP-MIDI on my Zynthian.

• When I restart my Zynthian, RTP-MIDI deactivates systematicially. After the reboot, if I go in Admin menu, RTP-MIDI option is always unchecked. And RTP-MIDI is really deactivated (not only a display bug), since I have to enable it again if I want to connect a RTP-MIDI remote device to the Zynthian

• If I activate RTP-MIDI using the webserver (MIDI Options), the checkbox remains checked after the reboot, but the checkbox in Admin menu is unchecked.

Does somebody else has the same problems ?

Benoit