Running Zynthian on Seeed Studio reTerminal

I got a Seeed Studio reTerminal running ZynthianOS (latest stable: 2021-09-25)

I had to ‘tweak’ the reTerminal driver install script but I managed to get all up and running (touch, the Hifiberry ADC/DAC and the LCD), but screen orientation is not ok. The reTerminal boots in portrait mode and I cannot get it to rotate, I tried a lot of options/switches in the boot config, but nothing worked for the rotation.

Rotating the console works, however, using this command:

echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate

If I look in the Xorg log file I see that eventually the screen used is /dev/fb0.
Using xrandr gives me “Can’t open display”.

Any idea on how to get the screen rotated? I know my way around Linux for a bit, but I’m not an expert on this stuff…

Hi there!

what is seeed studio exactly…?

Seeed Studio offers all kind of hardware… The reTerminal is a CM4-based ‘handheld’ device with integrated touchscreen. It also has a 40-pin rpi-compatible connector.

Hi @Meirssv! Welcome to the forum. You arrive with a unique perspective - I don’t think anyone has mentioned using a reTerminal before although there have been several mentions of seeed.

To send a command to manipulate or interface with x.org xserver you must first define the DISPLAY environmental variable. This may be done by preceding the command with the variable definition, e.g.

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr

or you can set the variable for the console session by exporting it, e.g.

export DISPLAY=:0
xrandr

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr

gives me

Can’t open display :0

Are you logged into the Zynthian as root when your run the command? It works for me. Sometimes you may need to export DISPLAY=0.0.

Ok, as root, running

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output default --rotate left --reflect normal

I get

xrandr: output default cannot use rotation “left” reflection “none”

Changing :0 to :0.0 has the same effect

Yes! We have success…

In a post pretty equal to my issue (Pi 3 running Manjaro) I did:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbdev.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbdev.conf.old

After that, xrandr identified the screen as DSI-1 and I could rotate it as root with>

DISPLAY=:0.0 xrandr --output DSI-1 --rotate right

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

And after adding

Section “Monitor”
Identifier “DSI-1”
Option “Rotate” “right”
EndSection

to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf and rebooting, the reTerminal booted into Zynthian correctly rotated!

Pictures…?

Setup is pretty preliminary, I used a Raspberry Pi DOUBLER to be able to both connect the HifiBerry ADC+DAC Pro and the MIDI-hat for the moment, so it’s a bit “how ya doing” :wink:

I’m also using the seeed reTerminal extension E10-1 cause I’m powering it by a 12V 4A PSU with barrel connector:

5 Likes