Running Zynthian on Seeed Studio reTerminal

I got a Seeed Studio reTerminal running ZynthianOS (latest stable: 2021-09-25)

I had to ‘tweak’ the reTerminal driver install script but I managed to get all up and running (touch, the Hifiberry ADC/DAC and the LCD), but screen orientation is not ok. The reTerminal boots in portrait mode and I cannot get it to rotate, I tried a lot of options/switches in the boot config, but nothing worked for the rotation.

Rotating the console works, however, using this command:

echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate

If I look in the Xorg log file I see that eventually the screen used is /dev/fb0.
Using xrandr gives me “Can’t open display”.

Any idea on how to get the screen rotated? I know my way around Linux for a bit, but I’m not an expert on this stuff…

Hi there!

what is seeed studio exactly…?

Seeed Studio offers all kind of hardware… The reTerminal is a CM4-based ‘handheld’ device with integrated touchscreen. It also has a 40-pin rpi-compatible connector.

Hi @Meirssv! Welcome to the forum. You arrive with a unique perspective - I don’t think anyone has mentioned using a reTerminal before although there have been several mentions of seeed.

To send a command to manipulate or interface with x.org xserver you must first define the DISPLAY environmental variable. This may be done by preceding the command with the variable definition, e.g.

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr

or you can set the variable for the console session by exporting it, e.g.

export DISPLAY=:0
xrandr

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr

gives me

Can’t open display :0

Are you logged into the Zynthian as root when your run the command? It works for me. Sometimes you may need to export DISPLAY=0.0.

Ok, as root, running

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output default --rotate left --reflect normal

I get

xrandr: output default cannot use rotation “left” reflection “none”

Changing :0 to :0.0 has the same effect

Yes! We have success…

In a post pretty equal to my issue (Pi 3 running Manjaro) I did:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbdev.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbdev.conf.old

After that, xrandr identified the screen as DSI-1 and I could rotate it as root with>

DISPLAY=:0.0 xrandr --output DSI-1 --rotate right

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

And after adding

Section “Monitor”
Identifier “DSI-1”
Option “Rotate” “right”
EndSection

to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf and rebooting, the reTerminal booted into Zynthian correctly rotated!

1 Like

Pictures…?

Setup is pretty preliminary, I used a Raspberry Pi DOUBLER to be able to both connect the HifiBerry ADC+DAC Pro and the MIDI-hat for the moment, so it’s a bit “how ya doing” :wink:

I’m also using the seeed reTerminal extension E10-1 cause I’m powering it by a 12V 4A PSU with barrel connector:

6 Likes

Hi, my reterminal is on the way and plan on using it with zynthian. Would you mind explaining what you have done to get it working? I will use the hifiberry adc dac stage.
Thanks!

I find this ReTerminal pretty cool.

Hi jhordies!

I will have to look up what I did, because my ‘professional’ workload has temporary increased a lot the last weeks, this ‘hobby’-project was pushed back for now. But I’m planning on getting started again in a couple of weeks when the workload decreases to normal levels again.

Tomorrow, If I find a gap I’ll look into it and give some more details.

That would be great thanks!
The reterminal arrived today, can’t wait to get it running on zynthian.

Hi again, could you maybe just tell me from the top of your head what you did, I will figure the rest out and document it.
Thanks!

Hi,

I know that this is an old post, but I would like to share that I’m running Zynthian flawlessly in my reTerminal. It needed some minor adjustments, but nothing too complicated. If someone is still interested, I have the process fresh in my mind, and I could write some kind of a guide. Let me know!

Of course, thanks to all the people involved in this wonderful project! :slight_smile:

Hi, that would be great !
I used my re terminal for another purpose but it is available again now so it could be a nice Xmas toy to play with.
Thank you :blush:

Good! Let me work on it and send you an update here.
:wink:

Great - I’m very interested in this also, because reTerminal, which I wasn’t aware of till now, is CM4 based, and I want to understand what needs to change to move Zynthian to the CM4.

1 Like