Searching a starting point for OSC programming

Hi all,
there has been some mention of the Open Sound Control with support for e.g. sending parameter values to the sound processing software.
I have searched the net quite a bit for explanations and tutorials, but the only stuff I have found seems for a beginner like me a bit too high-level or advanced.

So my question is:
Does anyone have a link for something like “OSC for Dummies” ?

patiently waiting for some hints from you,
regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

do you know this? OSC is IMHO very simple. The more complicated thing is the organization of a usable tree. I think this is currently the problem why OSC does not get well-established, becuase every manufacturer is making his own thing.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

Hi C0d3man,
thanks for the link !
actually i was looking for something more easy to comprehend, like an example or tutorial - guees that an easy start into OSC is a bit beyond my current install skills ;;-((
So I’ll probably have to start from ground zero one more time - I’ll report any real progress made …
regards, Tom

Hi Tom,

I started some tests in OSC (Arduino (C/C++) and Linux (python)). The explanation at Wikipedia describes with less words the internal structure of the protocol. For me this is easy to understand - but I am working with such things for about 30 years… so don’t hesitate to ask if you don’t understand something - or all :wink:

I will try to use OSC as a bridge protocol for external controllers based on Arduino. I would like to test if this works and if it is extensible (e.g. bidirectional use with a small display for Arduino or MIDI-I/O from Arduino via OSC to Zynthian, etc.). Currently it is only an idea and a test - I don’t know if this will get something more… The nice thing: I got a (Raspi)OSC<->Serial-USB-OSC bridge running. So there is no problem anymore for using python scripts with OSC support in combination with an Arduino.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

Hello Holger,
thanks for the excellent news! after lots of reading I also thinks that the combination you describe (OSC, Arduino, Python) is very worthwhile to work on. Only thing (for me) is to find an entry point for oldie beginners like me which promises some visible progress in terms of applications.
On the other hand i do feel that you wizards are so busy all the time with more rewarding projects rather than to answering beginner’s simple questions …

so yes, I’d like to participate and maybe even contribute to this OSC development, if you think that could be helpful. so just a few questions as a starter:
… Arduino: which one ?
… Python: which version and which libraries do i need
… how to combine/separate programming on the RPi versus development on a Desktop (I have two old PCs ready for this: one is Ubuntu and the other one is running Ubuntu Studio (because that distro seemed to have lots of audio stuff already installed).

So tell me wher i can be of some help and how to start, maybe in testing etc. ( as a retired person i have obviously some time to spare ;-))

so muc for now
(I have still to learn to wirte less lengthy mails …
Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

not much time… will go on vacation tomorrow…

This could be helpful in much aspects: I think with little knowledge perhaps searching for errors in implementations is doable.

Depends on how much sensors/actors should be attached. For the first tests I think a Uno is absolute adequate.

I would like to write everything in Python3, but first tests are showing that there is much more trouble to get my dirty scripts running :slight_smile:

I also think about writing the “driver” for USB-OSC-to-UDP-OSC in C - but my tests are written in Python(3).

Hm. This should work but I prefer to start one of my Zynthians and log in via ssh. So I have no problems of porting my project later to the RPi. But for core development I use my Ubuntu based systems with Ubuntu-packaged-LV2 plugins. Only mod-host and perhaps mod-ui has to be installed and for this you can use one of my scripts: https://github.com/dcoredump/zynthian-recipe

I will be back in two weeks…

Regards, Holger