SFZ Controllers and Stable 2211

HI All! I just updated to Stable 2211! Thank you for the great features!

Regarding SFizz and LinuxSampler:

I have controller lines in my SFZ files for CC1 Pitch LFO, CC2 Filter LFO and CC74 filter cutoff. The Zynthian recognizes the incoming controller ( via the blue M) but the controller information is not responding in SFizz or LinuxSampler. SFizz and LS respond only to note and pitch information.

SFizz and LS do respond to the controller information when I use Stable 2109 or 211213. And yes, I am re-downloading the image as I type. Please help!

Thank you, Sam in NJ USA

Same happens to me with the the Mod Wheel (CC1) and the expression pedal (CC11).

I opened an [issue with this problem:

It seems that CC is detected but does not work in the new stable release when you are using Sfizz or LinuxSampler.

Does anybody have ther same problem?

2 Likes

Yes… I just solved in testing and hope to merge in stable ASAP.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Regarding your custom use-case, @samriccijr, i’ve added some extra MIDI Controllers to the list, including those you are using (CC2, CC71, CC72, CC73 & CC74 in your SFZs. I think it should be more than enough for most use-cases.

If needed, a customization mechanism could be implemented. Something similar to what it’s currently implemented in fluidsynth engine.

Best Regards

1 Like

I can confirm that this solves the problem, thank you very much @jofemodo

2 Likes

Thank you @pau and @jofemodo ! A yml - like file makes sense.

Sam

I encountered the same issue on day 1 of using Zynthian.
My keyboard is specifically programmed to sfz cc control inputs to filtering configured in the sfz file, I don’t think the CC events should be filtered in the default chain at all.
Is there any other midi filtering happening? Filtering note off velocities for example would be a killer in my case.

2 Likes

Hi @Doug !

We “filter” MIDI CC because of the MIDI learning mechanism. Anyway, if needed we can implement a white-list mechanism using a configuration file included with the SFZ. Also, we could “parse” SFZs for auto-detecting the CCs being used, but it could be much more complex.

Regards

1 Like

Thanks for responding. Yes, I guess that is where CC learning and targets that are configured for specific CC events come unstuck. A white list is an option, but may be applicable beyond sfz, perhaps gig.
As an example one specific and very neat feature that I use in sfz is a filter that is responsive to note velocity,

Yes, of course. It would be implemented for all formats.

We don’t intercept note events, that goes directly to the engine. Currently we are intercepting CC only.

Regards

Hi Fernando(? I think),
Wow, I just checked how many sfz soundfont instrument files zynth is loaded with, a massive 752! That is spectacular and far above the sf2 and gig compliment. That shows a huge commitment to Linuxsampler and SFIZZ.

My experience is with Linuxsampler hence my previous comments - getting the velocity sensitive filtering and the additional FX sends up and running will significantly enhance this capability.

Currently I use Linuxsampler on a Pi4 standard os, no overclocking but with the LS priority lifted just above the rest of the crowd. Using a simple gui front end with the same Salamander samples as you have provided with Zynthian but including one velocity sensitive filter plus the two FX sends (sfz opcodes ‘effect1=100’ and ‘effect2=100’ , reverb and chorus to Linuxsampler for processing) for a very good and full sounding piano. Fragment size is 64 with 2 fragments so I get very low latency to my usb sound interface, no dropouts and enough polyphony (set at 256) to have dropouts only on the most demanding music, (Claire de Lune) if I don’t lift the pedal enough.

I use this as my practice piano every day. I would like to see Zynthian sound and play as well so I’m eagerly looking to see how it progresses. Great job so far - very promising.
Thanks,
Doug

1 Like